PDA

View Full Version : tkbnz11

tkbnz11
01-26-2011, 08:00
Anybody know why you are required to step on the accelerator one time when the glow plugs light goes out?

DmaxMaverick
01-26-2011, 08:39
Welcome aboard!

Never heard of anyone being "required" to do this. On early 6.2L engines, the high idle solenoid was passive, requiring one to step on the pedal to set it (it didn't force the throttle to the high setting, but held it there once set, similar to the choke/high idle on older gassers during a cold start). On every EFI 6.5L (electronic pedal), the throttle setting is controlled by the PCM until the engine starts (or several crank revolutions), and the high idle is electronically controlled. Some aftermarket PCM programs (chips or flashes) defeat and/or reprogram some of these features. You shouldn't have to step on the pedal, at any time, to start any 6.5L. If you are asking this question because someone told you to do this, they were wrong.

JohnC
01-26-2011, 10:21
You shouldn't have to step on the pedal, at any time, to start any 6.5L.

Unless it's a '92 or '93... The high idle solenoid isn't strong enough to open the throttle by itself.

No need to wait for the glow plug light to go out; any time before you hit the starter will do.

DmaxMaverick
01-26-2011, 11:25
Unless it's a '92 or '93... The high idle solenoid isn't strong enough to open the throttle by itself.

No need to wait for the glow plug light to go out; any time before you hit the starter will do.

OK. Same as the 6.2L's/DB2. Never gave it a thought. Thanks... I R smarter now.

trbankii
01-26-2011, 12:02
Unless it's a '92 or '93...

Hmmm... Have never once done this for my '93...

tkbnz11
01-26-2011, 12:13
Welcome aboard!

Never heard of anyone being "required" to do this. On early 6.2L engines, the high idle solenoid was passive, requiring one to step on the pedal to set it (it didn't force the throttle to the high setting, but held it there once set, similar to the choke/high idle on older gassers during a cold start). On every EFI 6.5L (electronic pedal), the throttle setting is controlled by the PCM until the engine starts (or several crank revolutions), and the high idle is electronically controlled. Some aftermarket PCM programs (chips or flashes) defeat and/or reprogram some of these features. You shouldn't have to step on the pedal, at any time, to start any 6.5L. If you are asking this question because someone told you to do this, they were wrong.

My 6.5 is in a 31 Ft Motorhome (they didn't make many of them with that engine) but I got the information from the owners manual.I'll bet they were referring to the Gas 454 which had the mechanical choke. But I'll take your word for it. It does have electronic accelerator but it seems awfully hard to start, I'm afraid of burning the starter out. Any ideas will be appreciated .

Big Green
01-27-2011, 05:55
Sounds like the same problem I'm having.

The KD glow plugs arrived yesterday and I hope to have them installed this weekend.

tkbnz11
01-27-2011, 13:27
Welcome aboard!

Thanks- I wised up and read the FQA posts and got a lot of good information there. Thanks for the welcome I'm sure I'll be seeing you all in the future.

JohnC
01-27-2011, 14:32
Hmmm... Have never once done this for my '93...
You don't touch the pedal at all?

trbankii
01-27-2011, 19:55
You don't touch the pedal at all?

Nope. Turn key for the glow plugs. When the light goes off, push in the clutch, turn the key, fires right up, let out the clutch and let it idle until the glow plug light stops cycling. Put it in gear and drive away.

That's all I've ever done with it.

tkbnz11
01-28-2011, 07:14
Nope. Turn key for the glow plugs. When the light goes off, push in the clutch, turn the key, fires right up, let out the clutch and let it idle until the glow plug light stops cycling. Put it in gear and drive away.

That's all I've ever done with it.

Thanks I got it don't touch the accelerator.

tkbnz11
01-28-2011, 07:17

Got another question need some opinions on running uphill in "Cruize" seems to have more power?

trbankii
01-28-2011, 09:43

I was responding to JohnC about doing so with the mechanical injection 6.5TD. I had never considered the need to set the high idle, so never have done so. Now I have to go out and dig through the owner's manual to see if it is mentioned...

JohnC
01-28-2011, 10:15
Now I have to go out and dig through the owner's manual to see if it is mentioned...
IIRC, it was on the visor.

It''s not a government regulation, just a suggestion...

On EFI trucks the throttle does nothing until after the engine is running.