PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 litre diesel perspective

joeysworld
01-27-2011, 15:20
I own a 1989 r1500 suburban with sidewinder and 700r4 transmission.

The vehicle, in which I WAS TOLD, has 141,579 miles.

I have put nearly 5000 miles on it since I bought it in November of 2010. The sub has consistantly got me 21.5 mpg, highway/city combined, and I have docmumented as high as 23.6 mpg hwy/city combined.

I have had discussions with mechanics and I am weighing my options if I should keep the vehicle long term.

I'm aware that I am reaching an audience that would be slightly biased upon this subject, but in all fairness, I have had some issues finding parts and do not enough experience with diesel.

My questions: How much would it be to have this engine rebuilt?

If I send it to a mechanic for say, an injection pump replacement, how much would a fair price be for a job that size?

Contemplating a picture, if you will.

DmaxMaverick
01-27-2011, 16:06
If you can turn a wrench on a gasser, you can manage your 6.2L. They are more similar than most people think. "Special" (expensive) tools aren't required, although some of them can be very convenient. Learn as you go, with some help here and there. Most of us started out like this. Many of the "pros" you'll read from here, started out a long time ago with the same questions you are asking now.

Costs for repairs/upgrades are almost all about who's doing it. Most things are relatively inexpensive if you do it yourself. For example, you can have the injection pump rebuilt locally for $300-500, or buy a warrantied exchange from a TDP Vendor (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm) for a little more, and replace it yourself in a couple hours. Many/most shops will charge $1,000+ for this job. Most dealers are $1,500+. It's an easy job, if you have the right instruction/advice.

An overhaul/refresh is much the same. Parts and time. You can source parts for a fraction of what a shop will charge. And you either invest you time, or pay for someone else's. Many shop rates are north of $100/hr. Or, replace the engine with good used, or a build someone else abandoned. Too many options to list, but it can cost as little as a few hundred, to well beyond $6,000, in the extremes.

Advice from us is always free. TDP subscription membership and publications (https://thedieselpage.com/form.htm) are priceless, for a small fee.

Good luck!

Subzilla
01-28-2011, 10:57
And why would you want to rebuild an engine at that low mileage getting those mpg's? I've got 312k miles on the Sub and 280k miles on the K5 with no rebuild. As Dmax said, these engines are easy to work on and parts are cheap (for the most part). I'm talking $20 for an injector as compared to $200 for today's diesel injectors!! Yes, there are a few parts that have been discontinued but aftermarket and Ebay make up for that.

I did my first IP replacement using this forum and the R&R book. Never done it before!

You've got ample power with the Banks. It ain't a Dmax or Scummins or Powersmoke but it will move down the road. You just have to know you limits.

Maintain the oil, fuel system, glow system and you're good to go. The only weak link might be the 700R4. Depends on who's rebuilt it assuming it's not original.

Keep it. Try it. Be careful though. It seems the more you drive these old Subs and 6.2's, the more you like them. It's a twisted love affair!:D