PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Chevy 4wd 6.5L Duramax Engine Shuts down Intermittenly

PRH
01-28-2011, 12:11
I have an immaculate 1996 K 1500 Silverado with 150k 6.5 Turbo....It has some modifications that the previous owner made: K&N HP cone air filter( Mass Air Flow Sensor has been removed since original owner started modifying to HP parts etc. and has always ran fine), PMD mounted on top of intake, SS 4'' exhaust just a few little bells and whistles. I let a friend borrow it and they committed the mortal sin of running out of fuel. I coached them over the phone how to prime the fuel system got her running and brought her to me. I tried to make it to get fuel but coasted to the pump . added fuel primed her and about 8miles down the road she shut down. ever since it has run fine for a while and then just out of no where shuts down. The check engine light came on recently for the first time and read : P0101 Mass Air Flow (MAF) System Performance, but this has never been and isue before as I mentioned it has never had a Mass Air Flow Sensor????????????? I use Sea Foam when I add fuel to hopefully keep injectors from clogging. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Beedee
01-28-2011, 12:31
Hi PRH

First off, let me welcome you to the forum.

The very first thing that I would do is to change the fuel filter, if your buddy ran it out of fuel it could have picked up a dose of crud out of the bottom of the tank, and the other thing I would do would to verify the lift pump delivery pressure. Fuel filter is a cheap and easy start.

If you use the search feature you should be able to find some information on how to check the pressure.

Good luck

Brian

rapidoxidationman
01-28-2011, 15:23
two things:
It isn't a Duramax if it is a '96 6.5L...

I'm going to put my money on the PMD showing signs of failure... Got a spare you can plug in?