PDA

View Full Version : A/C idler bearing failure

BOB-AUSTRALIA
02-01-2011, 01:20
My AC idler bearing has failed, i fitted a new AC pump and it also failed after approximately 250 miles i have had fitted a new bearing in the old pump and not had it regassed it has also failed after approximately 250 miles again. has anyone had this problem? i am in Australia and everyone i ask is shaking there head. any ideas will be greatly appreciated. thanks

chevytuff
02-01-2011, 08:34
What kinda shape is your belt tensioner in? For that matter your belt to.

If the tension is over tight it places alot of stress on your accessories. The housings on the tensioners are known to become brittle yours may be stuck or binding in a position causing it to be too tight.

The tensioner if its oem should have "limit" marks on it. One being high limit and other being low limit. Kinda hard to explain where the mark should be but it should fall in between the two lines. If its maxed to either direction I would replace it.

Your belt length could be causing issues as well if its too short. What size belt are you running?

BOB-AUSTRALIA
02-01-2011, 13:57
I Had Issues With The Belt Slipping While The A/c Was Engaged And Not Driving The Vaccumm Pump So I Fitted A Smaller Belt 20000 Km Ago And That Belt Failed We Guess Because Of The Age Of The Pump (it Locked Up ) And I Have Fitted The New Belt Which Is The Same As The Last So I Will Check The Things That Have Been Suggested Thanks

chevytuff
02-02-2011, 13:15
A lot of people recommend the 99.5 inch belt for the 95 style serpentine system with no vaccuum pump. I Recently built a new motor for my 85 and put a 95 serpentine system on mine. I bought both 99.5 and 100.5 inch belts. With the 99.5 the belt was way to tight and my new oem tensioner was maxed out, I put the longer 100.5 inch belt on and once the belt length settled it was just between the limit marks on the tensioner. Some people are fine with the 99.5 some arent I have a feeling it depends alot on the age of the tensioner.

There is always the chance that you are just unlucky when it comes to ac bearings, like everything else mechanical now a days quality has taken a dump.