PDA

View Full Version : Oil Capacity

BrentN
09-03-2004, 09:36
Hey all,
As I dont have the owners manual. What is the normal capacity of a stock 99 6.5. Getting ready for an oil change, dont want to be draining oil and not have enough to replenish.

moondoggie
09-03-2004, 09:50
Good Day!

All the 6.2's & 6.5's I've owned have been between 6 & 7 quarts.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Dvldog 8793
09-03-2004, 10:40
Howdy
My 1999 Chev 3500 6.5 held about 7.2qts with filter change. Buy 2 gallons and then you have little left to add if you need down the road.
Hope this helps...
L8r
Conley Janssen

BrentN
09-03-2004, 11:06
Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on oil filters to avoid, ones to steer toward.
Having been a gas guy all my life, I am going to stay with 3000-4000 mile oil change intervals.

(I try to get out and change all three vehicles on the same day...less cleanup)

The ONLY downside of having the diesel instead of my gas burban is that the 5.7 shared the same oil filter (and oil for that matter) as my 350,000 mile commuter 86 fiero..oh well, a small price to pay for the pleasure of the diesel.

From what I have gleened the 15w-40 Rotella is popular.

Dvldog 8793
09-03-2004, 11:18
Howdy
Pretty much everyone has their own opinion. I use WIX(napa gold) I would stay away from Fram. Do a search on oil filter. If your rig is a 2wd then you can use a larger capacity filter and gain an extra qt of oil.
L8r
Conley Janssen

CareyWeber
09-03-2004, 17:14
Baldwin B1428!!!!! ;)

norm
09-04-2004, 05:29
Tell me if this seems wrong: I am using 2 gal. at OF change which seems to put the level just right at the stick. I first tried 7 qts per the manual, but came up short...

G. Gearloose
09-04-2004, 06:00
2 gal for me too...
I concur, run away from Fram..

Fredeberle
09-04-2004, 07:14
Pep Boys "pure one" :D
I put 1qt. in the filter and 7 in the engine.

norm
09-04-2004, 10:20
Any other recommendations on brands of filters??(stock-type for 4x4)

ttpost
09-05-2004, 08:44
i use two gallons too. bored today so i had to chime in :D

eracers999
09-05-2004, 17:59
Everybody slams Fram, i use Fram and A/C delco. My filter of choice would be Hastings but availability is a problem. According to the testing i have read Fram does pretty good so does A/C.
Kent

Dvldog 8793
09-05-2004, 18:08
If I remember right the frame filters have some structual issues that would make them not a great choice. I have always thought AC made a great filter but i can get Wix at cost so that's what I use. I also think that Donaldson makes a great filter but they are hard to find also.
L8r
Conley Janssen

eracers999
09-05-2004, 18:26
Im not so shure that the fram issue might be a tall tale, no proof, no bad experiances. Amen on the donaldson filter, why they never decided to market their quality i cant figure.
Kent

whatnot
09-05-2004, 20:23
Originally posted by Kent:
Im not so shure that the fram issue might be a tall tale, no proof, no bad experiances. Amen on the donaldson filter, why they never decided to market their quality i cant figure.
Kent http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

whatnot
09-05-2004, 20:24
By the way, mine takes exactly 7 quarts just like the manual says. (6.5 liters :D )

eracers999
09-05-2004, 20:39
Whatnot: Thanks for the enlitening post, i love this board for that.
Kent

Marty Lau
09-07-2004, 07:30
Originally posted by BrentN:
Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on oil filters to avoid, ones to steer toward.
Having been a gas guy all my life, I am going to stay with 3000-4000 mile oil change intervals.

(I try to get out and change all three vehicles on the same day...less cleanup)

The ONLY downside of having the diesel instead of my gas burban is that the 5.7 shared the same oil filter (and oil for that matter) as my 350,000 mile commuter 86 fiero..oh well, a small price to pay for the pleasure of the diesel.

From what I have gleened the 15w-40 Rotella is popular. Brent;
Best not to go over 3,000 miles as the oil soots up fast with the lower capacities we have compared to other Diesels. Also if you go to 15-40W Rottella you can use it in your Fiero. I used it in most my vehicals except in winter, now I use the Rotella 5-40W synthetic for WalMart at $12 gallon and use it in everything, cars, Bronco, lawn mowers, water pumps and rototiller.

moondoggie
09-07-2004, 08:22
Good Day!

16ga SxS - what he said. I get 5W-40 Rotella Synthetic from Wally for $12.84 a gallon. I was always concerned about availability, as Wally only stocks a little. I found out that I can order it in larger quantities, so I do. Every so often as needed, I call the manager of Wally's auto dept. & tell him I need another 5 cases. In a month or so it shows up & I pick it up.

It's GREAT having to only stock one motor oil for everything except the weed trimmer & chain saw.

I'm especially blessed - all 6 or 7 cars I keep running use only two oil filters, so I keep those on hand also. I use NAPA's best - they're made by one of the high-quality oil filter mfg's (I forget which one).

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Dvldog 8793
09-07-2004, 11:37
Howdy
Wix makes the Napa gold filters, I've been using them for 7yrs now. Great filters!
Expect to loose a litle gas mileage in Feiro if you use the standard 15-40.
L8r
Conley Janssen

Hye
09-07-2004, 11:48
'94 6.5L Turbo 2WD Suburban - 7 1/2qts WalMart brand 15W-40 + WalMart Filter + Change @3-4000miles = 284,000 miles and still running strong.

I don't think its so much what you use as when you use it. I have three 6.2L vehicles and all have 250K plus miles. That's about 400 oil/filter changes over 18 years. One went 375K on WalMart 30W and whatever filter WalMart had on sale. My wife really enjoyed spending the money I saved.

But that's just a newbee's opinion.

BrentN
09-07-2004, 13:35
Thanks everyone for the input.

I will probably stay with the 15w-40 for the Burb and leave my fiero with 5w-30.

Since I plan on not changing my habits of every 3000-4000 miles I will probably stay with dino oil rather than a synthetic.

It sounds as though if I wanted to go with synthetic and longer durations, then I would need to add some additional filtration. Does the synthetic really get you that much more for the $, over just a simple oil change every 3500 miles?

Thanks,
Brent

moondoggie
09-07-2004, 13:51
Good Day!

IMHO, no.
</font> It simplified my life to have one oil for all the stuff I've gotta keep running.</font> Ever since I heard about synthetic oil about 30 years ago, I wanted to run it, just to see how long I could keep my junk running. The price always kept me away. When I 1st started running Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic, my kid was working at Wally's, so my price was $12.84/gallon minus her 10% employee discount, for $11.56/gallon, or under $3/quart. At that price, I was ready to change. Now I'm paying $3.21/quart, but I'm hooked. :D</font> In a turbocharged engine, synthetic oil does give significantly better protection against coking the oil in the turbo if one is not careful about letting the turbo cool down after a hard pull. IMHO, this is NOT an issue with non-synthetic oil as long as adequate cool-down time is allowed.</font>Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Dvldog 8793
09-07-2004, 14:41
Howdy
the synthetic oils DO have a longer life in a gasser engine. They don't break down as fast and have better high temp/pressure qualities. However, in our engines we get lots of nasty stuff that floats around in the oil. So no matter how good the oil is, if it's dirty then it's dirty. I like to keep my dino oil as clean as possible, BIG wix filter and BIG amsoil bypass. I still use Delvac1300 and change it every 3000-3500 miles. In the winter I run Mbile sythetic 5-40 just because my truck starts better and I feel better when I don't plug in. There is a GREAT post in the "ask Dr Lee" forrum I think the name was "Sulfer, The good,the bad and the ugly"
Check it out!
L8r
Conley Janssen

norm
09-07-2004, 17:07
It's funny, all these references to the Fiero. Way before I had an oil-burner, I started using 15-40 in my '85 GT (4spd) because on long trips (yes before kids we took the Fiero on trips) the oil temp would rise and drop pressure a bit with 10-30. I used 15-40 during warm season and it kept that in check. (I even bought an oil cooler for it but sold the car before I installed it) Oh, well, small fun car days are long gone...

JohnC
09-08-2004, 06:17
Our own esteemed Dr. Lee has penned 2 articles on oil filters right here in the DieselPage. If I recall, the recommendation against Fram was due to primarily quality of construction. Of the mass market specials, I recall Purolator (also available under a number of private labels) and AC-Delco rated good.

Friends don't let friends use Fram (unless it's on a Ford...) ;)

catmandoo
09-08-2004, 17:44
yes fram does have structural problems,friend of mine has an old ford pickup with 360 and i swear he's blown a dozen frams off that thing and not one a/c.also if it's on tight enough to not leak you will need a hammer and chisel to get whats left of the filter off.oh both mine take right under 8 qts.92 1/2 6.5 n/a and 94 sub 6.5 td.

norm
09-08-2004, 17:50
OK, guys, I picked up a couple NAPA golds today on my way to work. But are we not to use the FRAM fuel filter? Is not FRAM linked with Stanadyne? This is getting complicated...

Dvldog 8793
09-08-2004, 20:28
I always get AC or Wix fuel filters also. Fram being in bed with Stanodyne makes perfect sense, look at the wonerfull pump the made for us! :D tongue.gif
L8r
Conley

Scooby
09-09-2004, 03:01
I am a synthetic convert, after years of resisting. I argued that dirt was the reason I change my oil every 2000 miles, not oil breakdown. After much research, a lot of which was for my job as an industrial mechanic, I have had to go the synthetic route. Amsoil, IMHO, is the best stuff out there. They have a 25000 mile change interval for most gassers. Their filters are rated for 12500 change. Synthetic filter media is much more efficient than the others, and a well built filter can hold a lot more debris in the media without collapsing. As for my 6.5, I have been changing it at 5000 miles- oil & filter. I think the oil is about 16.00 a gallon. I became an Amsoil dealer so I could pick my stuff up at the local distribution center. Anyone can become a preferred customer and buy at wholesale prices too. They also sell HASTINGS filters. I cant bring myself to let oil in for 25000 miles in my gassers, so I change oil & filter at 12500. Still cheaper than conventional oil changed every 2000 or 3000.
Thats my .02

Billman
09-09-2004, 04:33
My 2 cents...

Fram and Hastings oil filters are Junk.

I think Stanadyne makes the fuel filter for Everybody, They just put them in their own box.

At least they make them for Wix, I just verified that by going into my stockroom and opened the 33376. Says Stanadyne right on it.

moondoggie
09-09-2004, 05:46
Good Day!

Scooby said,

Scooby
09-10-2004, 04:42
MOONDOGGIE---

The Amsoil I use is the 15W-40. It is the Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Oil.
Amsoil # AME-1G 1 gallon = 15.75
Amsoil # AME-TP 2 1/2 gallon = 37.30 or 14.92 gallon.
Amsoil # AME-05 2- 2 1/2 jugs (5 gal) 71.00, or 14.20 gallon
The SAE 30 Diesel oil ACD-1G is 16.55 gallon.
You are right- the 5W-30 is 25.50 gallon, 97.20 for 4 gallon, 115.50 for 5 gal.

These are my prices as a dealer. You can get the same prices if you become a preferred customer. I think that is 20.00 a year. I became a dealer so I could pick up at a local warehouse and save shipping. Check their website- amsoil.com . It has all the info.

moondoggie
09-10-2004, 08:18
Good Day!

Wow - thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I think I'll stay with the Rotella for now - 5W-40 at $12.84/gallon is hard to beat.

I'm convinced Amsoil is the best available, but this synthetic Rotella is still lots better than non-synthetic at a better price than the Amsoil. Yeah, I know, why not stick with Rotella's 15W-40 (summer) & 10W-30 (winter) & save lots of money? I guess because, like I said, ever since I heard of synthetic oil more than 30 years ago I wanted to run it in my vehicles, & when my kid worked at Wally's my price was under $3/quart, & that was as good as it's likely to get for some time. ;)

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

eracers999
09-10-2004, 22:36
The true question is if this has turned into a oil debate. Witch oil is actually a synthetic and witch oils that claim to be synthetic are actually hydrocracked oil. Case in point (castrol syntech) its really not a synthetic. They won that right to call it a synthetic in court against mobile 1. It is my understanding that mobile 1 is now a hydrocracked oil since that case. Many others on store shelves are also the same. 2nd thing, hastings filters are not (junk) i beg to differ.
Kent

Billman
09-11-2004, 03:21
No need to beg, Kent...

Statement was my opinion. Norm was looking for brands of filters.

Great Country we live in...

turbovair
09-11-2004, 09:14
My .02,

MY truck uses two gallons of oil at every change(3000 mile interval)

Have been using Fram oil filters (PH5) since 1997(123,000 currently on truck) with NO problems.

Also, I use Fram fuel filters and have experienced no problems related to the filter.

Not trying to endorse their product, just relating my personal experience.

Spindrift
09-11-2004, 12:01
Originally posted by 16ga SxS:
Best not to go over 3,000 miles as the oil soots up fast with the lower capacities we have compared to other Diesels. Are there other causes of the dirty oil in the 6.5 besides the lower oil capacity?

Billman
09-11-2004, 12:31
Yes.

The 6.5 is an Indirect Injection Diesel meaning the presence of Pre-Combustion Chambers.

This makes for Very Dirty Oil(Sooty).

Spindrift
09-11-2004, 17:00
Please then, someone tell me why you would want to use a synthetic and pay a higher price to do so, if it's going to get this dirty, this quickly? Seems to me that you would lose the benefits of the synthetic, no?

Billman
09-11-2004, 19:46
It's been proven that Synthetic Oil is Superior to Dino Oil. That could be the difference right there.

I think what everyone is doing is using Synthetic with an additional filter such as the 'Bypass', and extending their Drain Intervals, but could be replacing the filters in-between.

eracers999
09-11-2004, 21:03
I had been using 8 qts. After a oil change you can check the oil and its on full, let it sit overnite and it will be overfull, shut it off hot get out and check it its full, let it sit its overfull. Must be having the oil cooler drain back some??

ees
09-15-2004, 16:41
Kent here is a link to a thread almost exactly a year ago on the quattro list I frequent (older Audi cars). Like you were saying most "synthetic" oils are just reworked dinosaur oil.

http://tinyurl.com/66ohv

ees
09-15-2004, 16:47
Oh yes I forgot my vote against Fram. A good friend of mine used to be a technician at a Honda dealership. They would get a number of Accords every year with locked up engines. Without exception they all had Fram filters on them. Their theory is it has something to do with the lack of a drainback valve. Since the filter is horizontal I guess you have a period of time during start up with reduced oil pressure.

What other engine do we know with a horizontal oil filter...

GM never really did drain back valves in the filters did they?

Hubert
09-15-2004, 18:32
How much oil. I use about 7 to 7-1/2 quarts. But this question has always bothered me. Is the stick wrong or is my oil pan deeper by a little bit or my engine a different size. I have thougth that there are more tolerances that go wrong in mfg of the dipstick & tube (more likely too I think)than in the oilpan.

OR did the oil company short me a little in each quart container.

Its a toss up.

How far off is it on the stick at oil change?

My 2 cents don't sweat it too much plus minus 1/4 of a quart. Just check it often and top it off. Meaning: now that we don't pop a top in a can there is no need to wait until its a quart low to add. Once you get to know the vehicle keep it at the same place on the dipstick when ever you change it and add to it. I have been so anal as to add just a few ounces before (its been a long time since I have had to add a whole quart of oil to my truck I never let it get that low). I feel ok adding 1/4-1/2 quart to make up on the dipstick mark. Too much more than that and I don't know. Biggest thing is it depends on filter size. Maybe use an OEM filter to check your stick and top off to stick with an aftermarket filter.

CareyWeber
09-16-2004, 04:29
Originally posted by Hubert:
How much oil. I use about 7 to 7-1/2 quarts. But this question has always bothered me. Is the stick wrong or is my oil pan deeper by a little bit or my engine a different size. I have thougth that there are more tolerances that go wrong in mfg of the dipstick & tube (more likely too I think)than in the oilpan.

OR did the oil company short me a little in each quart container.

Its a toss up.

How far off is it on the stick at oil change?

My 2 cents don't sweat it too much plus minus 1/4 of a quart. Just check it often and top it off. Meaning: now that we don't pop a top in a can there is no need to wait until its a quart low to add. Once you get to know the vehicle keep it at the same place on the dipstick when ever you change it and add to it. I have been so anal as to add just a few ounces before (its been a long time since I have had to add a whole quart of oil to my truck I never let it get that low). I feel ok adding 1/4-1/2 quart to make up on the dipstick mark. Too much more than that and I don't know. Biggest thing is it depends on filter size. Maybe use an OEM filter to check your stick and top off to stick with an aftermarket filter. I have a bypass oil filter on my (Dr Lee type) before the bypass it took 7.5qts after adding the it takes 8qts. The added filter in my case added the capsity to put in a full 8qts.

I would like it more if I could get to the point that it took 12qts(3gal) to help in cooling.

Carey

JoeyD
09-16-2004, 14:05
Mine takes 8 to fill it and I just ordered a dual remote oil filter with the bypass from Greg so it should add 3 more quarts if I run the big filter. I have a deep pan from Rick Meyers to add someday to help me get to the 4 gallon mark. That will help it cool the oil.

CareyWeber
09-16-2004, 17:09
Originally posted by Joey D:
Mine takes 8 to fill it and I just ordered a dual remote oil filter with the bypass from Greg so it should add 3 more quarts if I run the big filter. I have a deep pan from Rick Meyers to add someday to help me get to the 4 gallon mark. That will help it cool the oil. Joey,

I'd like to hear about the pan install, and see some pics of it.

Carey

Spindrift
09-16-2004, 17:22
Joey...can you send your email address to: tstadulis at aol dot com

norm
09-16-2004, 17:23
Regarding Eric's question on drainback valves, it is my understanding that the AC 1218 filter that our trucks call for (and many V8 Chevys with oil coolers) has the anti-drainback valve, and the Fram equiv. (PH5 I think) also does.

JoeyD
09-16-2004, 18:30
my e mail is out to lunch for some reason.

Spindrift
09-17-2004, 10:58
Joey...check for PM at ob dot net.