PDA

View Full Version : ECM upgrade for LB7

MrBSA
02-03-2011, 11:56
Hi, I am considering an upgrade to my ECM to get a bit more horsepower for towing (50 HP?) and possibly a little better fuel economy. I am a little reluctant to mess with things as the truck now has 200,000KMs on it and seems to run well and gets what I think is decent mileage (20-23 MPG around town and 10-14 MPG towing) (Imperial Gallons). I bought the truck used with 130,000Kms and no where in the records I was given can I see that the injectors were ever changed!! I do have a record that says the Power train control module was reprogrammed with SPS at 57,000 Kms and the fuel tank fuel pump module was replaced at 30,800Kms. My question is, does anyone know what the SPS reprogramming is and would it be safe at this point to change my ECM to get a few more horse power without stressing the motor. Thanks, Bruce

Mark Rinker
02-04-2011, 07:04
I do have a record that says the Power train control module was reprogrammed with SPS at 57,000 Kms and the fuel tank fuel pump module was replaced at 30,800Kms.

Not familiar with 'Power Train Control Module'. Was the ECM, TCM, or BCM replaced?
Not familiar with any 'fuel tank fuel pump module' on a Duramax LB7. There is no tank mounted pump - just the injector (high pressure) pump located in the engine valley.
What is your trucks year/make/model? 8th digit of your VIN?www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) markets the best ECM based LB7 tune on the market, in my opinion. It shouldn't shorten your injector lifespan - that lifespan is a function of fuel quality, and appears also to have a componant of dumb luck. :)

MrBSA
02-05-2011, 18:07
Hi Mark,
I was just going by what the printout of warranty work done on my truck says and that is what they called it. Vin is 1GCH29182E147013 and it is a 2002 2500HD Silverado 2WD extra cab short box. There are some #s listed with the info but I don't know if they are part #s or work order #s or what.
I have been looking at Kennedy's re tuned ECM and also one from "Duramaxtuner.com" as they seem similar. I also read some reviews of the Edge products and others but it seemed like people using these types of systems just liked to brag about how much black smoke they could create when they put their foot into it. Seems to me that is just a sign of unburned fuel so where is the economy in that? Plus I don't want to smoke out my fellow motorists. I want a little more horsepower but also a clean burn throughout the RPM range.

JohnC
02-05-2011, 19:12
Bsa? .....

Mark Rinker
02-05-2011, 20:14
Hi Mark,
I was just going by what the printout of warranty work done on my truck says and that is what they called it. Vin is 1GCH29182E147013 and it is a 2002 2500HD Silverado 2WD extra cab short box. There are some #s listed with the info but I don't know if they are part #s or work order #s or what.
I have been looking at Kennedy's re tuned ECM and also one from "Duramaxtuner.com" as they seem similar. I also read some reviews of the Edge products and others but it seemed like people using these types of systems just liked to brag about how much black smoke they could create when they put their foot into it. Seems to me that is just a sign of unburned fuel so where is the economy in that? Plus I don't want to smoke out my fellow motorists. I want a little more horsepower but also a clean burn throughout the RPM range.

Are you sure that is the correct VIN? 8th position should be '1' for your year...

Having owned three LB7s and put on over 350K total miles...two words:

KENNEDY. TUNE.

:)

MrBSA
02-06-2011, 12:51
Yeah, sorry guys I missed a letter in my VIN, it should have read 1GCHC29182E147013 which would put the 1 in the 8th position. So no one can tell me what the "SPS" stands for in regards to the re programming they did to the engine "power train control module"?
Am also considering an exhaust brake. BD? PacBrake? (they are local to me but very pricey) Banks? (have heard problems with customer service). Is it worth the investment of $1200+?
John-as you may already suspect, the "BSA" is a reference to my motorcycle hobby which my wife says is way out of hand.:) I see you have a Trident, nice!

Mark Rinker
02-06-2011, 13:48
I have never felt that an exhaust brake was necessary. The grade braking provision of the Allison is plenty.

Do you have a particular scenario where you need more - on a regular and repeating basis? Like regular mountainous decents loaded heavy or something?

If not, I'd save the money - or put it to use elsewhere on your rig.

WhiteTruck
02-06-2011, 21:00
The PCM (powertrain control module) controls both engine and transmission functions. The Dmax has separate modules for these, it is just a mistake on the record you have describing the work performed. SPS stands for Service Programming System, and is just the software used to do the programming.

JohnC
02-07-2011, 10:03
the "BSA" is a reference to my motorcycle hobby which my wife says is way out of hand.:) I see you have a Trident, nice!

Wives are like that...

When I was a kid my uncle had several BSA twins. When I came of age I had a 441 for a while. The triple was my brother's. Got my eyes out for something like a Lightning or Tiger...

MrBSA
02-07-2011, 13:35
The reason for the ECM upgrade is that I tow a 5th wheel and have found I could use a bit more power on the hills and perhaps even on the flat. I have also found that on the downhill I have had several occasions when I felt the truck was over revving when it downshifted after braking, just didn't feel safe or comfortable with the trailer pushing me like that, hence the thoughts about an exhaust brake. I will decide soon on the ECM upgrade and maybe after I have tried it out I will re visit the idea of the exhaust brake.

John, my first bike was a 68 BSA 250 that I toured Australia on. Kind of stuck with them ever since. Currently riding a 72 Thunderbolt while I am building a 71 Lightning.

dually2002
02-08-2011, 08:50
Been running the Kennedy 50-100 HP tune for over 3 years along with 4 inch exhaust and his mod to the air filter box. No issues at all with ECM programming. Honest 1.5 MPG increase over stock with substantial increase in power. I run 100% of the time on the econo tune portion of programing (the 50 hp) even when towing my 36 fw. With a flick of a toggle switch that you install it switches over to the performance tune(100 hp) produces more power than I have needed so far. Select tow/haul mode and the 100 hp tune and it becomes the tow/haulass mode.This is a sweet setup and the most bang for the buck.

christophersond
02-08-2011, 09:16
I agree with Mark Rinker. I too, tow a 5th wheel, and have never seen a need for an exhaust brake while using the tow/haul mode, and cruise control. This is true whether towing on hills, or the flats. Save your money.:)

Chris

Mark Rinker
02-08-2011, 09:22
...I have also found that on the downhill I have had several occasions when I felt the truck was over revving when it downshifted after braking, just didn't feel safe or comfortable with the trailer pushing me like that...

I had the experience a few years back of deadheading with 36' trailer from Vernon, BC to Seattle, WA....WOW...those are some serious grades!!!

If I were travelling that route regularly and loaded, I'd probably add the exhaust brake.

DmaxMaverick
02-08-2011, 10:48
The reason for the ECM upgrade is that I tow a 5th wheel and have found I could use a bit more power on the hills and perhaps even on the flat. I have also found that on the downhill I have had several occasions when I felt the truck was over revving when it downshifted after braking, just didn't feel safe or comfortable with the trailer pushing me like that, hence the thoughts about an exhaust brake. I will decide soon on the ECM upgrade and maybe after I have tried it out I will re visit the idea of the exhaust brake.

John, my first bike was a 68 BSA 250 that I toured Australia on. Kind of stuck with them ever since. Currently riding a 72 Thunderbolt while I am building a 71 Lightning.

The PCM won't allow an engine overspeed. The 2002 will have the redline on the tach (later models omitted this), which is really of no use except for entertainment purposes. You can't force it into the red on power, and the PCM will force an upshift if it gets too high on compression. If it's downshifting during braking on a downgrade, it's working as advertised. The dotted are of the redline is intended to show what's allowed on compression. If you aren't reaching the top of that on a downhill grade, you still have some compression braking left to use. If you are continually riding the ragged edge of the tach, perhaps an engine brake may be useful. Or, just slow down a bit before you hit the downgrade.

MrBSA
02-08-2011, 18:34
[QUOTE=DmaxMaverick;278963] You can't force it into the red on power, and the PCM will force an upshift if it gets too high on compression.
That's interesting, I have never had it upshift when going down hill. It usually just keeps gathering speed until I am way to fast for my liking.
One of the ecm upgrades I am looking at is a single tune by "www.powerupdiesel.biz which claims 65-75HP and 4-7MPG increase. That seems to be better than the Kennedy 1.5MPG and would be more than enough power for my needs. Anyone familiar with this company or their products?

JohnC
02-08-2011, 20:24
... claims 65-75HP and 4-7MPG increase. That seems to be better than the Kennedy 1.5MPG...

If it sounds too good to be true...

DmaxMaverick
02-08-2011, 22:33
You can't force it into the red on power, and the PCM will force an upshift if it gets too high on compression.
That's interesting, I have never had it upshift when going down hill. It usually just keeps gathering speed until I am way to fast for my liking.
One of the ecm upgrades I am looking at is a single tune by "www.powerupdiesel.biz which claims 65-75HP and 4-7MPG increase. That seems to be better than the Kennedy 1.5MPG and would be more than enough power for my needs. Anyone familiar with this company or their products?

His claims are absolutely true. However, they can only be duplicated on his test course, which is downhill, both ways, and the wind is always at your back. Other than that, 1.5 MPG is realistic, and proven time and again. You can gain 4-7 MPG easily without any programming. Firmly adhere a raw egg under the APP, then don't break it.

Kennedy
02-09-2011, 07:46
Not to toot my own horn, but I think what these guys are trying to say is that hype and claims are meaningless with nothing to back them up. What they are suggesting is that you buy from a guy who supports this Forum, interacts with the public regularly, supports nearly the entire powertrain, etc.

In this day and age of modern web technology I feel it is important to know who/what is actually behind that green curtain...

http://tomdiaz.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/behind_the_curtain-439x356.jpg

dually2002
02-10-2011, 08:54
Hi, I am considering an upgrade to my ECM to get a bit more horsepower for towing (50 HP?) and possibly a little better fuel economy. I am a little reluctant to mess with things as the truck now has 200,000KMs on it and seems to run well and gets what I think is decent mileage (20-23 MPG around town and 10-14 MPG towing) (Imperial Gallons). I bought the truck used with 130,000Kms and no where in the records I was given can I see that the injectors were ever changed!! I do have a record that says the Power train control module was reprogrammed with SPS at 57,000 Kms and the fuel tank fuel pump module was replaced at 30,800Kms. My question is, does anyone know what the SPS reprogramming is and would it be safe at this point to change my ECM to get a few more horse power without stressing the motor. Thanks, Bruce

With 200,000km on the engine I wouldn't get to radical with a tune.

MrBSA
02-10-2011, 11:27
OK guys, thanks for all your input on this subject, I certainly appreciate it. You are right in that I do not want to over stress a motor that has 200,000Kms on it which is why I was looking at an upgrade of around 50-65HP. Ted, do you make a single tune like that or just the switchable dual tune upgrade?
Once I get this thing upgraded I will report back on my findings.
Thanks again.

bigchev
02-14-2011, 18:30
Not to toot my own horn, but I think what these guys are trying to say is that hype and claims are meaningless with nothing to back them up. What they are suggesting is that you buy from a guy who supports this Forum, interacts with the public regularly, supports nearly the entire powertrain, etc.

In this day and age of modern web technology I feel it is important to know who/what is actually behind that green curtain...

http://tomdiaz.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/behind_the_curtain-439x356.jpg

Hey John! I will help you toot your horn. I am still running the ECM 100/250 HP I bought from you and it still works flawlessly. I (26' Nash travel trailer-heavy) tow on the 100 HP setting, just have to keep an eye on the egt's in the Idaho mountains. The power is awesome and my fuel mileage (not towing) around 21mpg on the Interstate and 12 to 14 towing.

Thanks again for the great tunes.

Bigchev

Mark Rinker
02-14-2011, 19:18
I have been to John's shop - he and his dyno look just like that picture. Even the green curtain. :D

Kennedy
02-15-2011, 16:19
OK guys, thanks for all your input on this subject, I certainly appreciate it. You are right in that I do not want to over stress a motor that has 200,000Kms on it which is why I was looking at an upgrade of around 50-65HP. Ted, do you make a single tune like that or just the switchable dual tune upgrade?
Once I get this thing upgraded I will report back on my findings.
Thanks again.

Sorry I've been down since Friday am. Was this question for me?

If so what I typiclly do is a 50HP tow and 100HP perf tune switchable setup. Drive it normal and stick to the low tune and you won't see any additional stress.