PDA

View Full Version : Drilled/slotted rotors

arveetek
02-04-2011, 19:54
I put new brakes on the front (rotors, pads, calipers, hoses) of my Tahoe around 10,000 miles ago. The rotors are warping again. I'm thinking of trying some higher quality drilled and slotted rotors, to see if they will last longer.

Any suggestions on where to buy, what kind to buy?

Thanks,

Casey

JTodd
02-05-2011, 06:06
You should look at new calipers instead. I imagine you are already running vented, because that is the way to go. Slotted rotors came to be as a way to vent the build up of gases between the pad and rotor. They have been obsoleted by newer pad material, although are still used with extremely soft, aggressive pads. Cross-drilled rotors will increase your stopping distance quite a bit because all of the holes significantly reduce the swept area of the rotor. Additionally, the holes reduce the strength of the rotor. Their main purpose is to allow for the largest possible pad and to keep the sprung weight down.

Basically, if you continue to warp rotors, check other areas before going to a rotor that will decrease your braking performance.

JohnC
02-05-2011, 18:52
Are they truly warped or do they have "fat spots" where pad material has been deposited on the rotors? I burned through brakes on my LD 2500 in about 20,000 miles but never had a warped rotor.

arveetek
02-06-2011, 20:50
Are they truly warped or do they have "fat spots" where pad material has been deposited on the rotors? I burned through brakes on my LD 2500 in about 20,000 miles but never had a warped rotor.

Good question. I have a pulsing sensation on my brake pedal and the steering wheel shakes a bit when applying the brakes. I haven't checked for sure, but I was assuming warped rotors would be the only culprit.

Casey

JohnC
02-07-2011, 09:50
Some pads will transfer material to the disk. the longer they sit without moving the worse it gets. The same process promotes corrosion on the disk which gives a high spot.

arveetek
02-07-2011, 12:31
Hmmm.....I drive my rig around 45 miles every day. Doesn't have much time to sit.

curmudge1
02-23-2011, 08:37
I used Applied Rotor Technology rotors on my 94 6.5TD Blazer, with good results -- long life, etc. Cryo-stabilized, etc. If they're still in business, they make to order, so it might take a couple of weeks. Performance Friction pads worked well.

My newer gas 2-door Tahoe has Powerslot rotors, seem to be fine too.

HTH, FWIW.

--
Dave