PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter cooler????

Dvldog 8793
09-03-2004, 14:03
Howdy
Saw a oil filter cooler advertised, basically a finned flexible heat sink that goes around the oil filter and is held in place by a hose clamp. Seems like a "doo-dad to me but the reasoning seems sound. Does anyone have any experiences with these? I have a remote oil filter/bypass filter set and was thinking of putting the cooler on the bypass and using heat transfer paste inbetween.
Any thoughts? Good or bad?
L8r
Conley Janssen

ucdavis
09-03-2004, 15:34
I have one of these. It is held onto the oil filter w/a hose-clamp-like band. Couldn't say if it does any good. Gotta take it off & put it on the new filter @ oil changes. Makes me feel good ;)

CareyWeber
09-03-2004, 17:11
Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
Howdy
Saw a oil filter cooler advertised, basically a finned flexible heat sink that goes around the oil filter and is held in place by a hose clamp. Seems like a "doo-dad to me but the reasoning seems sound. Does anyone have any experiences with these? I have a remote oil filter/bypass filter set and was thinking of putting the cooler on the bypass and using heat transfer paste inbetween.
Any thoughts? Good or bad?
L8r
Conley Janssen Conley,

Based on the low volume of oil that goes through a bypass filter I doubt it would really help.

Remember the restrictor in the output of the bypass filter. ;)

Carey

Dvldog 8793
09-03-2004, 19:15
Only thing that I was thinking about is that the bypass filter gets hot just like the other filter but oil stays in it longer so would benifit more from the added surface area of the strap on heat sink. Also if I used the heat tranfer paste I REALLY dont want to have to re-apply that every time I change the oil! :D It seems that one drop of that stuff can cover your whole body! :D My truck has never run hot but I figured for $25.00 Maybe it would be worth it????
L8r
Conley

MTTwister
09-03-2004, 21:17
Well, it would be one of the cheapest things you can throw at these rigs, at least! smile.gif

rjwest
09-04-2004, 03:04
I have dual filters, nap**773, large size.

Installed coolers on both filters, they came from the manufacturer and are longer than those in
Jeg's catalog, Extend completly over length of filter but only go around approx 85% of the surface area. I see an approx 15 degrees temp drop
when running with a truck camper in very hot weather( 230 degrees before-215 degrees now). Also a slight increase in oil pressure.

Paid 47 dollars us for both.

I do note that my installation places the filters
directly behind the cross over pipe

I am planning to do a insulation wrap of the cross over to see if that will get additional cooling,
also may help the deep alu tran pan disapate heat.
( tran pan dropped temps 25-30 degrees ).

CareyWeber
09-04-2004, 04:32
Originally posted by rjwest:
I have dual filters, nap**773, large size.

Installed coolers on both filters, they came from the manufacturer and are longer than those in
Jeg's catalog, Extend completly over length of filter but only go around approx 85% of the surface area. I see an approx 15 degrees temp drop
when running with a truck camper in very hot weather( 230 degrees before-215 degrees now). Also a slight increase in oil pressure.

Paid 47 dollars us for both.

I do note that my installation places the filters
directly behind the cross over pipe

I am planning to do a insulation wrap of the cross over to see if that will get additional cooling,
also may help the deep alu tran pan disapate heat.
( tran pan dropped temps 25-30 degrees ). RJWest,

Can you tell me what filter mount and part # you are using?

What is the full part # of the filter?

Carey

rjwest
09-04-2004, 10:50
Careyweber:

The dual filter mount I used came from Jeg's, made by Perma Cool> Unfortunatly the " Fits All "kit I purchased did not have an adapter with large enough oil line fittings . Lost some oil pressure.

Called Perma Cool, and they sent me a bigger adapter for the GM filter size with 1/2 npt fittings.

Also Unfortunatly the Dual Filter Kit was for a Ford Filter ( fl1a, 3/4 inch thread ) N A P A sells a 1773 large ( expensive " filter which i am now using.
If I were to do it again I would use the GM style
(13/16 ) filter or Larger if available.

: Perma Cool does make the dual filter that will accept GM style filters, and The Larger
filter Adapter with 1/2 npt., I would reccomended calling them, They will give you correct PN's.

There are also other kits available, I think Kenedy or Heath may have a kit that would save you
the " engineering " that I went through.

Also: I had a nice set of oil lines made up
of Aero-Quip parts. But lost to much oil presure ( about 7 psi ) I seems that the connectors restrict the oil line where the flare connections are.
Went to 1/2 inch NPT bayonet type fittings,
and N A P A " special band clamps...Aero Quip
med pressure hose, with " orange heat shield where
the hose is close to manifold.

Still lost some oil pressure, about 2-3 PSI...

May want to search the Forum, or ask in a specific
post what is best, My setup works, but I think
it can be done much easier .