PDA

View Full Version : looking for accelerator pedel position sensor

ChevyMan19036
02-05-2011, 16:44
I have a 95 chevy k2500 vin s 6.5 turbo diesel. I am looking for an accelerator pedel position sensor. I am having a hard time finding a used one. Right now my truck is running terrible because of it and I don't have $500 to blow on it. Does anyone have a used one they are looking to get rid of? I have $200 i can spend on it.

Thanks
Matt
95 chevy 6.5 turbo diesel vin s

tommac95
02-05-2011, 17:37
i may have one.
did you isolate problem with codes??

ChevyMan19036
02-05-2011, 20:02
yes i had several codes for that

matt

JohnC
02-05-2011, 20:35
Have you checked/cleaned all your battery and ground connections as well as the connector at the APP sensor? Actual failures of the APP sensor, while not unheard of, are pretty rare.

ChevyMan19036
02-06-2011, 06:29
Yes i replace the battery terminals have new batteries in the truck, checked all wiring and the actual sensor in the pedal assembly.

JohnC
02-07-2011, 09:30
There have been reported "fixes" made by (IIRC) drilling a hole in the housing and flushing it out with tuner cleaner. I though there was a discussion here somewhere, but couldn't find it.

thor04
02-07-2011, 22:10
So I'm having the same problem with my second pedal assmebly getting all the app sensor codes and not looking to pay 500 bucks for one either so i've torn apart my extra one and it doesn;t look like rocket science in there i've boughten computer parts that are generations ahead of this thing for cheaper.
Anyways i'm gonna try a few different things and see what happens and have my free hand on the ignition just in cause it decides to take off on me.
first one Try cleaning the band with a proper cleaner

Second one try shimming up the whole finger assemble up just a small amount that for it will run on new tracks

third one is to find somebody who only sells just the sensor and not the whole gas pedal unless i'm missing something because it seems kinda pointless to buy the whole pedal assembly when theres only two screws that hold the sensor on and the pedal is probally 200 bucks on its own, i would be ok paying 200ish for the sensor but to sell it with all the rest of the stuff that a guy doesn;t need seems like a rip off

forth one is to go wrecker shopping again and tell buddy its only worth forty bucks new and pay twenty bucks and wait for it to mess up again

Thats my rant let you guys know how it go's

(See next post for image)

Robyn
02-08-2011, 06:54
Took the liberty to shrink your PICCY a tad so we can actually see what it is.

Keep pix at around 900x600 pixels and its a lot easier to see them.

Missy

thor04
02-09-2011, 23:18
Thanks for fixing the picture
So been playing around with the sensor, volt meter, rc car servo and controler the sensor will only mess up within the 1/8 to 3/8 turn sections anything before and after everything reads else out ok. which when you look at it in person than on a picture you can see wear on the bands at that spot.

conclution my pedal is in that position about roughly 80 percent of the time if i'm city and hitting bumps,dips,pot holes, letting off and on the gas pedal because buddy infront of you doesn't know what street he's turning on your foot always seems to bounce there because the pedel spring is not strong enough thats why they sell the pedel with the sensor.

noticed this when driving the 6.2 the pedel was solid and it stayed where ever you put it, god i miss cable driven trucks and carbs but love still love the diesel

tommac95
02-15-2011, 18:19
ChevyMan19036 and thor04:
>In 2001 i bought my truck , and had the 4L80E rebuilt immediately. The shop which did that job required that the ignition switch and APP be renewed concurrently if a warranty were to be included. That shop was to order and charge me ca$500 for the part ... so i offered to pick one up. There was a cooperative Chevy truck dealer in the vicinity , and they sold me a new pedal assy for about $290 , inclusive of approx $25 local sales tax.

I just today completed email communication with the online division of Flow Chevrolet , known to us as < www.GmPartsDirect.com >. This dealership quoted me a price for a pedal assy for My vin code 'F' vehicle , of about $270 {i'd expect shipping on the order of 30-50bucks additional}. I would love to sell you my used pedal , but it has logged 175kMi , and is probably ready to crap out. (since it has been sitting unused in un-airconditioned space for nearly a decade , it may now be dysfunctional) Since this is so important , i suggest you get a quote from GMPartsDirect for your particular application. They only give price quotes for specific VIN numbers .

Another creative approach {thanks to thor for his ohming-out efforts!} might be to ask the dealer if they can provide the TPS without an accelerator pedal ... or even Google the numbers found on the sensor housing. Numerous forumites have reported significantly extended mileage after application of WD40/TunerCleaner through aperture drilled into hsg.
It is also important to recognize that parts salespeople have enormous 'lattitude' concerning the prices charged for their wares. It is customary to charge professional mechanics a wholesale rate , which they then mark up for their customer at installation. Frequently courteous treatment and accurate included application information (and minimum oozing from detritus placed on the countertop!) can garner something of a price 'break'....

Here is the germ of the final email from "Matt" at GM PartsDirect: .........................

Hello Tom,
Thank you for your emailed inquiry to us at , div Flow Chevrolet, LLC
www.GmPartsDirect.com ::: 15751307 accelerator pedal (WITH THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR)
GM PART # 15751307 CATEGORY: Accelerator Pedal PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00 GM LIST: $520.80 OUR PRICE: $265.61

So Good Luck , and please include mileage , optional equipment , and locus of ops with other posts!
-- T m