PDA

View Full Version : LF Noise

TJNE
02-05-2011, 17:03
I have a noise in the LF wheel area. It changes with speed, and sounds like a dry U joint but the noise is not coming from the drive shaft area and the u joints are tight. It is not a growling noise like a wheel bearing, or a chattering noise like CV joint. The noise does not change when I put it in 4WD. I hear it going straight, forward and backward. It seems go away when I swerve to the right but not left (usually indicates wheel bearing). I have had the wheel off and the CV boots are in good shape, no signs of leaking grease and the joints are tight with no play anywhere. I spin the wheel bearing with ease and no noise and it is smooth. I removed the antilock brake sensor and the cogged wheel and sensor are not touching and the is plenty of grease in the cavity. At first I thought it was the rotor hitting the inner dust plate, that was not it.

I am leaning toward the wheel bearing but it isn't a typical growling noise so I'm not sure. Does anyone have any other ideas to try? I dont have the extra money to start swapping parts until it goes away.:confused:

JohnC
02-05-2011, 19:22
You could always wait for it to get worse...

Spoolmak
02-05-2011, 22:17
I'm betting on the Hub.

Mine started that way, then started to squeek when I turned left or right. It's almost impossible to tell on your driveway if the wheel is off, or the wheel is left on but under load. It was easy to tell when I put the front end on hydraulic jacks so I was able to check for play in the hub with the wheels off the ground but still on the hub. If you get any play at all on the wheel, it's time to change her out.

Good luck

Tor

rapidoxidationman
02-05-2011, 22:25
What happens if you rotate the tires (front to back)?

TJNE
02-07-2011, 17:48
Thats where I'm at right now. Funny but I didn't hear it today, its probably getting ready to fall off the truck.:D
You could always wait for it to get worse...

TJNE
02-07-2011, 17:49
I didn't try that yet, I don't think it will help but it can't hurt.
What happens if you rotate the tires (front to back)?

rapidoxidationman
02-08-2011, 12:53
I didn't try that yet, I don't think it will help but it can't hurt.

Won't hurt and might lead you to a busted belt inside the tire...

Maybe just swap out the offending corner for the spare tire and hear what happens.