PDA

View Full Version : change v belt vacuum pump to gear driven vacuum pump

chrisc17cjs
02-08-2011, 14:37
Dear All

As the 1986 6.2 diesel j series has a stanadyne diesel pump is ther any location for a gear driven vacuum pump?

Should the vacuum pump be difficult to turn? as it stalls and is partly the reason why it throws off belts??

please help, thanks

chris

DmaxMaverick
02-08-2011, 15:18
The 86 should already have a "gear driven vacuum pump" located at the rear of the engine valley, driven by the cam (common location for GM distributors on gassers). If it doesn't, and the pump is accessory belt driven, then it isn't a pickup/SUV/CC, or it isn't original, but you didn't say....

chrisc17cjs
02-09-2011, 00:33
Thanks very much for the reply
Its an rv tiffin allegro on a P30 chassis
The years difficult as it was a 86 chassis I think but not registered untill 87
The vacuum pump help drive the th400 transmission
Not a great mechanic so please explain your thinking
Thanks again
Chris

arveetek
02-09-2011, 11:08
I didn't know they even made a V-belt vacuum pump!!

Is this a standard front-mounted engine? If so, you can remove the doghouse cover inside the coach to gain access to the engine. At the very rear of the engine in the center of the valley, you'll probably find a round plug. This is where the gear-driven vacuum pump normally resides on these engines. This is the same location where a distributor would be mounted on a Chevy gas V8. GM/Detroit decided to keep the same setup for the diesel engines to run the oil pump and the vacuum pump, until they started using a serpentine belt setup and went with a belt driven vacuum pump.

Casey

chrisc17cjs
02-11-2011, 00:22
dear casey
the diesel pump is where the petrol distributor used to be in the valley as you describe, any other locations?
thanks
chris

arveetek
02-11-2011, 09:42
dear casey
the diesel pump is where the petrol distributor used to be in the valley as you describe, any other locations?
thanks
chris

Are you talking about the Injection Pump located towards the front of the engine? Or do you mean you have a fuel lift/transfer pump (used for pumping the fuel from the tank up to the injection pump) located at the rear of the engine?

If you have a lift pump at the rear, I would like to see a picture of that. You have one unique vehicle there. Nothing like I've ever heard of or seen.

Casey

chrisc17cjs
02-12-2011, 04:01
dear casey
you where correct the standyne pump is at the front and there is a hole at the rear of the engine, but the very large diesel block filter is over it. this is why i presume they cha nged to a belt driven item as it wouldnt fit it.
i presume the diesel filter has to remain upright to work correctly so it cant be moved.
I have some pictures now but dont know how to reduce the size can i email you them
cheers
chris