PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid leak under battery?

waynep
02-09-2011, 14:04
Hello All:

Have what looks like power steering fluid leaking from somewhere under the drivers side battery. Looks like a line or two going somewhere there from the power steering box?
Is there a cooler under there or something? Weird place for a leak?
Power steering resorvoir low and service engine light on, is PS fluid monitored?
Regards,
Wayne
97 3/4 ton 4 WD 2500 6.5 turbo Subway

waynep
02-09-2011, 14:49
Hello All:

I think it is not the power steering fluid but the transmission fluid that is leaking! Are there
cooler lines running from the radiator to the transmission fluid cooler that could be bad?
The fluid is redish so I don't think it is PS fluid.
Do they come into the radiator on the passenger side and leave the radiator to go to the cooler on the drivers side? It is winter here very cold, New England so could I get away with just pinching off the lines for now and replacing when warmer?

bk95td
02-09-2011, 22:38
Hello All:

I think it is not the power steering fluid but the transmission fluid that is leaking! Are there
cooler lines running from the radiator to the transmission fluid cooler that could be bad?
The fluid is redish so I don't think it is PS fluid.
Do they come into the radiator on the passenger side and leave the radiator to go to the cooler on the drivers side? It is winter here very cold, New England so could I get away with just pinching off the lines for now and replacing when warmer?
There is a power steering cooler on the front side of the core support on the driver's side. the trans cooler is on the passenger side

tommac95
02-15-2011, 18:27
Great foto Waynep!

The p-steering cooler is the vertical rectangular thing.

Red Does sound like tranny fluid.

The pow steer lines route from the PS pump to the hydroboost , to the cooler, to the steering gearbox (not necess in that order). Some are stock replacement items. The PS lines are attached at the steering gearbox with orings possibly identical (certainly similar) to those employed for the fuel lines at the LiftPump (no guarantees).

It is a good thing to flush the pow steer fluid once every decade , or thereabouts.
-T m