PDA

View Full Version : Turbo swap

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-10-2011, 11:23
So my 95 is dead, and was thinking it was either the head gasket done in, or the turbo was pooped. reason for this was it was constantly throwing a code, going into limp mode?, and then blowing a light amount of oil at idle.

the current turbo to the best of my memory is the vac. operated GM-4. i have a spare GM-1 mechanical turbo in the garage that i know works. now, could i swap the turbo in and simply block of the vaccuum line? the intent is to get rid of the pump anyways to work with the e-prom.

or else is it just easier to swap the wastegates?

john8662
02-10-2011, 15:59
You could built a mechanical wastegate off the GM 1 Turbo and put it on the GM4, or just get a turbomaster. The TM or mechanical gate will let you get rid of the vacuum pump and vacuum line.

Sounds like your other turbo was blowing oil out the back side, bad piston seal on the shafts of the turbine shaft

DaveBr
02-10-2011, 21:30
I have a good GM-8. Rebuilt 50,000 KM. Next time thru Cow town you can pick it up. If interested PM me.

Robyn
02-11-2011, 09:16
Replace the turbo with a good one, add the Turbo master and a CHIP that takes the vacuum system and its BOOST codes out of the loop.

Install a boost gauge and a pyro.

Adjust the TM to give about 10 PSI max under a hard pull in top gear.

900F post turbo or 1000-1100F pre turbo EGT

End of troubles.

Just unhook the vacuum pump, and leave it to idle the belt.

You can even take the vacuum POD off and leave the pulley/bearing setup as an idler.

Missy