PDA

View Full Version : first diesel truck

3500HD
09-03-2004, 17:55
recently bought a 96 chevy 6.5TD sounded & ran good the first week changed oil & filters 2 days later started running rough & smokeing both black & white found some water in fuel drained tanks replaced bad vacuum pump found I was getting fuel in oil changed twice in a week smoke cleared up some pulled my case uniloader first time today and smoke is back big time white @ idle and on take off temp @ 185 black when pulling hills temp @ 210 any ideas thanks 3500HD

MTTwister
09-03-2004, 21:14
not much help - but Black smoke usually indacate lack of boost. You need to trace down the vacuum leak, starting at the turbo and working back to the solenoid. Sometimes it's flaky wiring at the solenoid, versus a vacuum leak. Search on various topics - vacuum, and no boost, etc - there have been some recent threads on best procedure to check.

White smoke - somebody else will have to chime in. Best of Luck, tho'

3500HD
09-04-2004, 12:23
vacuum problem fixed needed new pump but is still overfueling it has 128k dont know if it could be injectors or pump

ttpost
09-05-2004, 08:29
i am having a similiar problem, replaced the stock vacuum system to the wastegate with a bill heath unit. i was having severe black smoke. it is 90% better now but still smokes on acceleration. :( i talked to bill about it and he said it sounds like the timing to the injection pump is off. i havent had it checked yet, but it might be something you want to look at.

markrinker
09-05-2004, 09:12
If the truck has a stock ECM and IP, I doubt that it is 'overfueled'. However, it could be 'under-burned'. Bad injectors, incorrect timing, or low compression on 1 or more cylinders could all contribute to this.

An easy driveway test -

When engine is completely warmed up and idling, remove the oil filler cap. Do you see lots of oil vapor escaping? Place your hand over the filler tube. Can you feel the crankcase breathing? If so, you might have stuck or worn piston rings - i.e. excessive blow-by. My truck #1 has moderate blow-by, and has responded well to oil treatments, increasing mileage slightly and reducing black smoke at the exhaust and oil consumption.

At your mileage, the injectors are well overdue. You might want to take the VIN to your dealer, and see if they were replaced under warranty earlier in the trucks life. Same for the IP and FSD mounted on the pump. You might have some newer parts that you don't need to replace while troubleshooting.

BTW - if you do injectors, you might as well do glow plugs while you are in the neighborhood. No reason to do these jobs separately (twice)IMHO.

3500HD
09-05-2004, 14:42
Thanks guys found prob bent push rod, nylon keeper on rocker shaft, and pittle valve in lifter all bad looking for parts now when this cyl starts firing I should have a good truck thanks again

Dvldog 8793
09-05-2004, 15:05
Howdy
I have some/all the parts you are looking for. They have similar mileage. Check in the classifieds under parts.
L8r
Conley Janssen

markrinker
09-06-2004, 04:56
Are you doing injectors and glow plugs at the same time?

3500HD
09-06-2004, 12:02
no. they look fine motor had heads redone before I bought it