PDA

View Full Version : Gear Drive set 94 6.5td

Hooptybass
02-12-2011, 08:45
im going to have to do a timing chain replace and wondered on your thoughts on a gear drive replacement for my 94 burb? is there any available for the 94 6.5td? Thanks for any help

Robyn
02-12-2011, 09:10
IIRC the gear drives for these have become very scarce.

If your sprockets are good, just drop in a fresh chain and go again.

I have replaced the "Chain Only" many times and had zero isues with this.

The sprockets seem to last really well, just the chain stretches.

Missy

bk95td
02-12-2011, 09:40
The best timing chains I've found so far are Cloyes. They are tight. Melling and others I've tried are half way[loose] to tolerance when new.
I'm just finising up putting one in the 94 k3500 in my sig. I bought the Cloyes c3074 ,which is the chain and sprockets for 6.2s and 92-93 6.5s. I reused the crank sprocket. No slack at all. I bought the timing set from rockauto for around $60 plus shipping.
As a side note, I won't even replace a water pump without removing the entire timing cover from the front of the block and using a gasket between the cover and block. I've had to do rework twice to fix coolant leaks from there. It sucks to do it twice.

Hooptybass
02-14-2011, 16:30
Thanks for the replys ... i was also wondering if the Fluidampr was worth the money . i thought about gettin one for when i did the chain change TILL i seen the price tag.. man they dont give them away do they

Hooptybass
02-28-2011, 18:09
Ok ive got it torn down to the timing chain now and i cant get the crank gear off =( anyone have any ideas on how to get it off without screwing the crank up ? The cam gear will slide off with no problems but the crank wont .. and it defintley needs a chain its way loose

racer55
03-01-2011, 08:59
A 3 jaw puller is what I use to pull the crank gear and the button from the balancer puller set in the end of the crank to center the puller.