PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 td 1997 silverado k1500 p0101 ob2 code

dav 6.5td
02-15-2011, 03:47
hello has all
I have just installed a pcm on my silverado K 1500 6.5 td and I have an error code which appears</span> at the end of some day</span> it acts of the code p 0101!!.</span>
is what somebody could help me because I do not know too much how to make and especially by or to start and what it is possibly necessary to replace.</span>
thank you in advance for your answers

DmaxMaverick
02-15-2011, 08:22
Welcome aboard!

P0101 is a MAF error (Mass AirFlow sensor). The PCM is seeing an unexpected value with the sensor, which can be caused by the MAF sensor (disconnected, failed, or fouled), MAP sensor, significant intake air leak, or EGR fouling/failure. The MAF on the 1997 is used essentially for EGR control (emission system).

dav 6.5td
02-16-2011, 01:27
Welcome aboard!

P0101 is a MAF error (Mass AirFlow sensor). The PCM is seeing an unexpected value with the sensor, which can be caused by the MAF sensor (disconnected, failed, or fouled), MAP sensor, significant intake air leak, or EGR fouling/failure. The MAF on the 1997 is used essentially for EGR control (emission system).
hello dmax maverick
thus what is what you would advise to me to do?
where is the maf sensor?
is that which is on the downpipe
thank you

DmaxMaverick
02-16-2011, 08:03
If you have a "sensor" in your downpipe (the pipe connecting the turbo exhaust outlet to the exhaust system), it's an EGT thermocouple (Exhaust Gas Temperature probe) used to monitor exhaust temperature by a gage, and has no function with the PCM.

The MAF sensor is located in the intake plumbing, between the air cleaner and turbo compressor inlet. The MAP sensor is located in the intake, between the turbo compressor outlet and intake manifold.

dav6.5td
02-17-2011, 01:03
hello,
thus should I simply clean the maf sensor or change it?
or that can it come from another thing .....</span>
I tried to do what he says on the site of ob2.code.com has to know to disconnect the batteries to erase the error codes but he thus returns at the end of 2 days</span>… I cannot what make</span> too much.</span>
thank you in advance

DmaxMaverick
02-17-2011, 01:33
If you clear the codes and they return, the problem is real. Try cleaning the MAF sensor, first. Use electronic contact cleaner that dries with no residue. Do not touch the internal filament with anything other than the cleaning fluid (they are very fragile). They can become fouled and not respond correctly. If it becomes necessary to replace, you don't really need new. Any working used MAF is as good as any new replacement. Some fail often, others last forever. The GM originals are the best quality, in my opinion. Many parts outlets offer remanufactured MAF sensors, and they are as good as any new aftermarket part.

At this time, it is probably best to get a scanner (Tech II) on the truck and read what the PCM is seeing. The MAF will show a value any time the ignition is on, and should track the engine RPM's. A bad MAF will show little or no value changes with engine RPM. If the MAF responds and tracks RPM's, look for another cause. Still, check and clean connections, and verify the harness is not damaged.

Also, if you haven't recently, change the air filter. An old/used up filter, and even some new aftermarket filters, can cause erroneous MAF response.

dav6.5td
02-17-2011, 03:50
thank you for all these councils is what you an easy way to check the harness because there is enormously electric wire in the sheath</span>.</span>
my filter has air is a round filter k&n.</span>
thanks

DmaxMaverick
02-17-2011, 08:47
K&N? Ah....It is quite common to have MAF issues with K&N air filters. If too much oil is used (and are often over-oiled when new), it contaminates the MAF with this oil. A simple cleaning of the MAF and a service of the filter (with no more oil than necessary) will usually cure the problem. A better solution is to not use a K&N filter on a vehicle you drive frequently.

dav6.5td
02-22-2011, 02:35
hello dmaxmaverick
I cleaned the maf sensor as you recommended it to me and the defect does not seem to thus return I think that it is solved (let us hope).</span>
thank you for your councils</span>