PDA

View Full Version : Started Smoking After I.P. Failure???

NMC_EXP
02-16-2011, 14:58
Greetings

I recently bought a '86 M1009 CUCV with 80K miles. I've put 4K miles on it and the engine seems strong (nearly everything bolted to the engine has broke). It would put out a little white smoke on a cold start but other than that the exhaust has always been clean.

The injection pump is the latest thing to go. Noticed a power loss that got progressively worse. I was 20 miles from home and by the time I got there I had the throttle on the floor and could barely make 25 mph on the flat.

Found the check valve between the fuel return line and the I.P. was plugged with some black fiberous crud. Seems to indicate the non-metallic washer in the I.P. is falling apart.

So a reconditioned I.P. and new injectors are next.

I cleaned the check valve to see if it would start and run - it did. However it smoked like crazy...smoke with a definite blue tinge.

I had not checked/cleaned the CDR valve before this. The CDR valve and line had maybe an ounce of oil in them. Cleaned that out and it still pukes whitish/bluish smoke on start-up and while idling.

Question: Could running this thing 20 miles while starved for fuel have done anything to the engine to cause oil burning?

I'm hoping the injectors are plugged up with the same crud and the smoke is just a lot of unburned fuel.

Regards

Jim

DmaxMaverick
02-16-2011, 15:20
You can't "starve" a Diesel engine of fuel. Less fuel = less power. Period. And, you can't hurt the engine from too little fuel. It sounds like the pump has left you, and probably the injectors. Not likely a CDR problem, but replace it if it makes you feel better. They rarely fail, and when they do, the symptoms are counterintuitive. If you are unable to get under power at higher RPM's, the CDR is doing nothing. That's how it works, normally. At lower RPM's, it's just an open gate, and won't stop, or slow down, any blowby. It closes at higher RPM's to prevent excess crankcase vapor from being sucked into the intake. A bad pump can, and does, cause blue/black smoke under several conditions.

NMC_EXP
02-16-2011, 15:57
A bad pump can, and does, cause blue/black smoke under several conditions.

That is good news - thank you sir.

Regards

Jim