PDA

View Full Version : surge cured

catmandoo
05-10-2004, 18:05
well after fighting my 92 c1500 ext 5spd with 6.5 n/a for the better part of 7 months i think i finally have the surge cured.when my problem started just before thanksgiving it had a funny vibration that would show up about 65mph it would last for about 5 seconds and go away actually it felt more like a hop in the back end,really strange feel let me tell ya.anyway it's been getting progressively worse and from 60 to 70mph then it started to surge if i let it set and idle for say 5 minutes when i took off just about the time i would go to shift to 3rd it would throw you back in the seat ,then shift and it wouldn't bother again til i let it set and idle for 5 minutes,well that time got progressivly shorter to the point that just setting at a quick stoplite and it would surge and then lately it's had a mid rpm lull going along and lean into the pedal for more speed and it would lay down and not pickup speed til you let off the pedal a little.noticed my boost was lower than normal and temps higher.also it would surge turning to the left and want to laydown turning to the right which really made me wonder it something wasn't floating around somewhere so decided to change the filter and man it's like night and day no more surge and i let it set for 5 minutes tonight while i talked to my dad and when i took off no surge whatsoever,also it seems to rattle more now and my boost just jumps up now and i can really hear the ol turbo whine.i replaced the filter in oct sometime so i either had a bad filer or got some bad fuel ,i had a (new) filter so assumed it wasn't the problem.just goes to show that it's sometimes the small things that really matter.now we'll see tomorrow if my milage comes back it dropped down to under 24mpg i was at 26.5-27

moondoggie
05-11-2004, 05:52
Good Day!

Thanks for posting your problem & resolution. Some day in the future a newbie (or an oldie - me ;) ) will search on "surge" & get your topic, which will help with this commonly-overlooked situation.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

catmandoo
05-11-2004, 17:58
drove 250 miles today and it sat and idled for 10 minutes once and not one surge so i'm calling it cured.milage also came up a little and power is back to normal.now it seems i'm gonna have to crack the pump back off a little as she's really belching out the black smoke when i lay my foot in it.