PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Dancer

cwindle
02-17-2011, 14:41
Driving down the hyway in my 93 chevy it stopped as tho someone had shut off the key. Had it hauled home ordered a service manual from the Diesel Page checked shut off selenoid, changed fuel filter, bled air at the filter, Loosened injector line on two cylinders (there was some fuel seeped out. Engine will still not fire. Please Help! I have only owned this truck for about 8 mos., and this is the first time I have ever been on a forum, so bear with me

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-17-2011, 18:30
Driving down the hyway in my 93 chevy it stopped as tho someone had shut off the key. Had it hauled home ordered a service manual from the Diesel Page checked shut off selenoid, changed fuel filter, bled air at the filter, Loosened injector line on two cylinders (there was some fuel seeped out. Engine will still not fire. Please Help! I have only owned this truck for about 8 mos., and this is the first time I have ever been on a forum, so bear with me

but it does crank? if it does, will it push any fuel out while cranking?

there is lots of good help on here. we will help you figure it out, no worries. :)

just as an aside, from personal experience and something similar. there is a pink wire that clips onto the IP. can't remember what it is right now. check and make sure it's connected. if it isn't, you will have a no start/run situation. ;)

Lanskpr
02-17-2011, 19:42
Where is your PMD (more commonly known as FSD) located?

93_Burrito
02-17-2011, 20:13
Where is your PMD (more commonly known as FSD) located?

1993 trucks have mechanical fuel injection pumps. No FSD in this setup.

cwindle
02-17-2011, 21:46
It does crank and fuel seeps out at the injector when I loosen the line. There is a pink wire on the side of the injector pump and when I disconnect it and reconect it clicks like the manual says it should.

but it does crank? if it does, will it push any fuel out while cranking?

there is lots of good help on here. we will help you figure it out, no worries. :)

just as an aside, from personal experience and something similar. there is a pink wire that clips onto the IP. can't remember what it is right now. check and make sure it's connected. if it isn't, you will have a no start/run situation. ;)

6.5 Detroit Diesel
02-17-2011, 23:32
so you have fuel pressure to IP, pressure at injectors, truck is cranking fine,...

i cant really think of much beyond for exact ideas. but, maybe check into the intake? blocked intake?

how was the IP before this happened? started cold without to much smoke?
started warm without extended cranking?

being an F code engine, you shouldn't have to worry about a blocked cat....

Robyn
02-18-2011, 07:04
The 93 engines just dont normally up and stop like that.

I am suspicious of the injection pump.

With fuel to the pump, a good clean filter and still no joy, the issues can be very few.

Its very likely that the IP had taken a poop.

With a couple lines loose, have a helper spin the engine, you should get fuel coming from the lines.

It will not pour out but you should see a small amount squirt out each time the engine spins past the cyl's with the lines off.

The small amount tha dribbled out when you took the lines off is normal, but there should be fuel come out while spinning the engine.

With the mechanical pumps, if there is fuel to the injectors, it will run.

May be a bad fuel shut off soleniod, a broken shutoff linkage or possibly the pump has seen a main shaft break.

Keep us posted

Missy

cwindle
02-18-2011, 09:22
Is it possible that there would be fuel at the injector while cranking but no pressure? I did try that.

The 93 engines just dont normally up and stop like that.

I am suspicious of the injection pump.

With fuel to the pump, a good clean filter and still no joy, the issues can be very few.

Its very likely that the IP had taken a poop.

With a couple lines loose, have a helper spin the engine, you should get fuel coming from the lines.

It will not pour out but you should see a small amount squirt out each time the engine spins past the cyl's with the lines off.

The small amount tha dribbled out when you took the lines off is normal, but there should be fuel come out while spinning the engine.

With the mechanical pumps, if there is fuel to the injectors, it will run.

May be a bad fuel shut off soleniod, a broken shutoff linkage or possibly the pump has seen a main shaft break.

Keep us posted

Missy

More Power
02-18-2011, 09:52

For this to happen with a mechanically injected 6.5, it could be the fuel injection pump or perhaps something happened with the timing (cam/sprocket key). A sudden appearance of air in the fuel system could also cause this. Eliminate this possibility before moving on.

I'd check the timing aspect before springing for a new injection pump. While it is possible for a DB2 mechanical pump to cause a sudden engine stall, it's not the common mode of failure.

Jim

arveetek
02-18-2011, 15:02
I had the same thing happen to me once. I was driving along and the engine shut off like I had turned the key off. Turns out the bolt holding the Injection pump timing gear to the camshaft had loosened, allowing the key to shear. This prevented the injection pump from turning at all.

It wasn't a major problem. I just had to remove the front engine cover and install a new key. This time the bolt got installed with loc-tite to keep it from backing out again.

On the front of your engine, remove the oil fill tube to gain access to the injection pump gear bolts. Have someone crank the engine over and watch the gear. If the gear doesn't turn, then you know the problem is down in the timing gears.

Another issue is that your truck has an electric fuel lift pump that pumps fuel from the tank up to the injection pump. I would double check that your lift pump is working and pumping fuel properly.

Casey

cwindle
02-18-2011, 20:22
Thankyou that sounds reasonable to me I'm headed for the shop first thing in the morning. I'll let you know

I had the same thing happen to me once. I was driving along and the engine shut off like I had turned the key off. Turns out the bolt holding the Injection pump timing gear to the camshaft had loosened, allowing the key to shear. This prevented the injection pump from turning at all.

It wasn't a major problem. I just had to remove the front engine cover and install a new key. This time the bolt got installed with loc-tite to keep it from backing out again.

On the front of your engine, remove the oil fill tube to gain access to the injection pump gear bolts. Have someone crank the engine over and watch the gear. If the gear doesn't turn, then you know the problem is down in the timing gears.

Another issue is that your truck has an electric fuel lift pump that pumps fuel from the tank up to the injection pump. I would double check that your lift pump is working and pumping fuel properly.

Casey

cwindle
02-19-2011, 18:27
I did what you said and the pump gear does turn soo it seems it just about has to be the pump@#$%^&*

JohnC
02-19-2011, 18:44
Take the cover off the pump and see if the internals are turning, or if anything has come loose. Otherwise, I'd guess the shutoff solenoid has failed, even if it clicks.