PDA

View Full Version : Forgive my ignorance, but...

Foxman
02-19-2011, 00:59
...what is a "tag-along" trailer?

Is that what you guys call what I call a "bumper-hitch" or "ball-hitch" trailer?

DickWells
02-19-2011, 06:03
What I call a tag-along, is what the "Industry" seems to want to call a Travel Trailer, these days. Now to me, a travel trailer would describe any trailer that folks would be using as a home-away-from-home, including fifth wheel, and others. Put another way, isn't a fifth-wheel not a travel trailer? Anyway, a tag-along is probably better described as a ball-hitch or bumper hitch trailer. Still, a goose-neck is usually a ball-hitch, as well, but mounted in the bed.:D No wonder we get confused! My/your little utility trailer is more than likely a tag-along, although, my son's big flat-bed is a goose-neck, and is really nothing but a large utility trailer! I'm quiting, before I confuse myself.

We're taking off on our bikes, for a ride up to Corpus, and back. Now, my bike is a three wheeled, reversed trike, (wide in front, one wheel in back), but it's registered as a motocycle! Had a Kawasaki pass me, one day, with two out-rigger, training wheels in back. Isn't that four wheels? Still, the thing was registered as a motorcycle.:confused: And you thought trailers were confusing.:D

Have a great day.

Foxman
02-19-2011, 17:20
You know what I found very interesting was, I have researched a lot on trailers over the years, preparing for if I try to fight to legalize double bumper-hitched trailers here, and I had found a site or two that defined a fifth wheel as "A semi-trailer equipt for recreational living purposes" I could not believe that my grandma's old neighbor, who has been towing trailers for probably 40+ years now, had never heard that. I guess trailer towing was in his blood though, since he told me his dad could back up a fifth wheel and boat trailer hooked together. That must be an amazing sight to see. One thing I can't believe is how I never realized that semi-trailers that truck tractors tow are fifth wheels. Thats what my grandma's neighbor told me, and I just said "Oh yeah! I never even thought of that!" Like I said and you may have read, I think I posted here that that neighbor also drove a long while (a few hundred miles I think) up north with a blown tire on his tandem axle trailer and he didn't even notice it, and he had been traveling with a friend who he said asked "Are you nuts, that you drove that far with a blow-out?!" when he realized they did that.

Although my grandma's neighbor said it seemed a bit too dangerous for him (and he has towed a fifth wheel and boat himself) if I try to legalize bumper-hitched doubles here, I will be using tandem axle trailers just in case of a blow-out on either trailer. That way, I shouldn't be thrown too out of whack, should one of the tires blow on either trailer.

Oh, and one more thing. I read somewhere on another forum I think, that someone said they see a travel trailer company towing up to FOUR travel trailers in tandem to the travel trailer dealer they are going to. Now, how can that be legal? My ideal legal limit is two. I sometimes think they should even ban triple semis in states that allow them.

a5150nut
02-19-2011, 20:16
And don't forget the tail wagger. Single axel bumper pull, just watch it in the mirror waging back and forth.

scarmic
02-19-2011, 20:31
Are what you're talking about road trains for L/Vs?
And are there many places in the US where road trains allowed?
I watch a program called American Loggers where they road train over width which is not legal anywhere I know of in Oz.

Mark Rinker
02-20-2011, 07:44
"Tag trailers" generally refers to any trailer that extends from the bumper of the towing vehicle.

Similarly, a "pup trailer" is used in excavation to describe a towable (usually hydraulic dump) trailer towed behind a dump truck to increase load capacity.

Conversely, 5th wheel, gooseneck, semi-trailers all use plate or ball hitches centered over the drive axle(s).

Foxman
02-20-2011, 18:31
I was also told by a trucker that a "pup" trailer is any 28 foot semi-trailer. Or the older 26 footers that I was told they no longer make.

MacDR50
02-22-2011, 14:43
So what do you call a swivel wheel trailer, one where the trailer axle(s) or wheels swivel and the trailer is fixed tight to the tow vehicle or the trailer in front. Hey maybe a swivel wheel trailer :rolleyes:.

Inspector
02-24-2011, 17:21
Maybe a hook and ladder. LOL I don't have the foggiest.
Denny