PDA

View Full Version : Best glowplugs?

thirdstreettito
02-19-2011, 11:36
I've heard ok things about the AC 60G and great things about the Bosch Duraterm. What about the Heath Glowplugs? Which one is the best?

Thanks, Bradley

More Power
02-21-2011, 11:53
I usually recommend the AC-60G because they can be purchased nearly everywhere. Kennedy sells the Quick-Heat, which tested well here a few years ago. Both of these endured the several minute hot test I put them through without damage. This sort of test is important if a glow controller failed in a way that applied battery power for an extended period. Also important is the relative time-to-temperature (how quickly they reach temp).

We haven't tested the Bosch or Heath plugs. If someone will send me some examples, I'd be happy to test them like we've done the others - and then publish the results.

Jim

thirdstreettito
02-21-2011, 21:18
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised you guys have not tested the Heath or Bosch.

Kennedy
02-22-2011, 09:27
A quote from John8662 from the 6.5 forum:

"Well, the rig is starting 110% better now, just as a stock one would start (maybe even better).

I got with JK and he recommended the QH plugs to see how much just plugs would help before installing one of his custom chips.

The QH plugs are a LOT better at starting than the 60G's. If you don't have manual control or are using stock glow times the QH plug is probably the only way to go. I'm not really impressed with the 60G in other engines I've got, but they're early 6.2's and stock glow controllers."

tomtaylor
06-09-2011, 23:03
A quote from John8662 from the 6.5 forum:

"Well, the rig is starting 110% better now, just as a stock one would start (maybe even better).

I got with JK and he recommended the QH plugs to see how much just plugs would help before installing one of his custom chips.

The QH plugs are a LOT better at starting than the 60G's. If you don't have manual control or are using stock glow times the QH plug is probably the only way to go. I'm not really impressed with the 60G in other engines I've got, but they're early 6.2's and stock glow controllers."

Sorry what is QH? I can only find stuff referring to european cars for QH.

DmaxMaverick
06-09-2011, 23:35
Sorry what is QH? I can only find stuff referring to european cars for QH.

QH = Quick Heat

Kennedy (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) sells them. Good plugs. I use them.

argo
06-10-2011, 13:43
I am using the 60G plugs, and I want to be clear that while they are durable, they are slow to heat. I installed a manual glow system in addition to the stock setup because in the cold, you need at least 10-15 additional second on a cold morning. in the summer they work fine with the factory glow controller. If I ever need glow plugs again, I'll probably try the Kennedy Quick Heat plugs.