PDA

View Full Version : timing procedure for 95 GMC 6.5??

gvig
12-04-2003, 14:48
Is there a procedure to set the base timing and the tdc offset on my 95 similar to the later vehicles. Can it be done without using a bi-directional scanner like the Tech 1?? I have access to an OTC 4000E Enhanced if that is any help. Thanks!

ucdavis
12-04-2003, 15:42
I think the OTC4k is an early version of their Genisys scantool, & has bi-directional controls. You will need to find out what software the unit has to see if it was updated to include your model year. There was an OBD2 cable sold for these units, so I'm pretty sure it would be capable as long as your year is covered.

gvig
12-04-2003, 16:03
Thanks for the kind thought, but... I called OTC tech support and was told that the 4000E, and also the Genesys (sp?) were not capable of that. The tech that I talked to said that only the GM Tech I or Tech II could do the job.

I can't say whether or not the tech was correct, just that is what he told me.

The 4000E Enhanced that I have access to has the Pathfinder 97 cartridge and does a nice job of reading the codes, scanning the sensors, and such but won't go beyond that.

Too bad nice toys cost so much!!

Are there any key off/key on combinations that can do it?? Perhaps if I stand on one foot and hop around???? Even if the procedure is a real pain, I have more patience than money.

Jim P
12-04-2003, 16:04
I have a otc genesis and I can read codes and read all the info from the different sensors but I have not found a way to do the tdc learn. I can read the timing but I can't change it. If anybody knows how to do it please let both of us know.

charliepeterson
12-04-2003, 20:08
Some members' here have said that Snap-On's latest and greatest scanner software will do the job. I can't confirm this unfortuneately. My shop has the Tech II and I can confirm that it does do the job. The proceedure takes only 20 to 30 minutes.