PDA

View Full Version : BIodiesel

nopower65
05-10-2004, 20:05
With Diesel fuel prices headed for $2/gallon or higher, do the economics work for biodeisel now? Is there anything to worry about in running it in a 6.5TD?

DA BIG ONE
05-10-2004, 20:10
Originally posted by nopower65:
With Diesel fuel prices headed for $2/gallon or higher, do the economics work for biodeisel now? Is there anything to worry about in running it in a 6.5TD? There is 1 distributor here in Florida,and he is charging like $2.85 gal for it.

Perry
05-11-2004, 18:45
I looked into Biodiesel this week thinking that the price was going to be close to the $2.04 that I just paid....I was wrong, here in Seattle, the pump price for B100 (100% Bio) was $3.15/gal.

The price of soybeans have also been going up, plus you have the calculate the fuel costs for transporting it to the Northwest. Its been projected that Dino fuel will approach over $3/gal next month, so I guess I'll try Biodiesel then.

Now I know why only the VW TDI's run it around here.

Perry

damork
05-12-2004, 18:06
I ran a tank of biodiesel (soy based) through my truck last fall and it was the only time my truck hiccuped. Due to being quite nervous about the optical sensor in the electronic pump, I went back to running regular diesel. I saw a bit of a mileage improvement however when running the soy stuff.

David Brady
05-13-2004, 06:55
I ran the B20 for 5-6 months as my pump was going bad and the increased lubricity seemed to help keep the codes down. I did eventually have a failure and have a new pump now. Now I watch the B20 but the price seems to jump to a .25 penalty instead of coming closer. I can't justify the extra cost.