PDA

View Full Version : Hi-pop injector install, new lower intake manifold gasket?

Big Red Suburban
09-04-2004, 17:41
Well, I was going to start installing my hi-pop injectors tonight however it appears I am going to need new gaskets for the lower intake manifold? Can I just reuse the old ones? I hate to delay this install again, I won't be able to get new gaskets until next week.

What do you think?

Dvldog 8793
09-05-2004, 04:49
Howdy
I did the injectors without removing the intake. I also did not remove the turbo, hindsight being 20/20, I would remove the turbo. :D I don't think you will have to remove the intake. The turbo heat shield is the worst part of the job, go buy a big tube of Derma-bond! tongue.gif
Did you get the kit that comes with the slip on return lines? Also you should replace the copper crush washers and make sure everything is REALLY clean.
Hope this helps!
Have fun
L8r
Conley Janssen

Big Red Suburban
09-05-2004, 06:41
I got JK's kit with the push on return lines.

How did you do the replacement without removing the intake? Don't you have to remove the fuel lines attached to the inj pump or can you "bend" them enough to get the injectors out?

Also, without removing the turbo, did you do the pass side injectors from above or thru the wheel well?

How long did the job take you?

Thanks!

Dvldog 8793
09-05-2004, 08:06
Howdy
the lines move enough to get the injectors out with no problem. Just make sure the lines are tight and secured again when you put them together, if they are touching anything they can make a heck-of-a racket. I did the passenger side a little of both ways. Work from the top for awhile, cuss, then go from the wheel-well, cuss, then back up top, then cuss again for not removing the turbo! :D I ended up making a special socket for the passenger side. As far as how long, the first three(pass side back) took me about 3 hours. the next 5 took about 1 hour! I did the hardest first so I wouldn't be at the end of my rope with hardest ones left!
I would STRONGLY recommend reomving the turbo. It will probably only take 30min and will save you 2 hours!
Let me know if you need an yother advice.
I can email you picture of the socket that I made, but it sounds like you are on a pretty tight schedule!
Have Fun!
Conley

tloomis
09-05-2004, 08:09
Just remove the fuel line clamps holding the fuel lines to the valve cover. This will allow you to spring the lines far enough out of the way to get the socket on the injector.