PDA

View Full Version : No, zippo, zero Boost on the way to the dump!

MTTwister
09-05-2004, 07:13
Well, it's Sunday, and once again the paperboy forgot where our house is :mad: , so here I am.

Taking a load of yard stuff to the dump yesterday afternoon, and 0 boost showing on the gauge! Rocker Hill, the SES light is glowing. ( Fortunately is hidden by the steering wheel, so I don't have to starer at it all the time.

Anyhoo- What the farck? Hmm, Last thing I did was install the OPS Relay. Maybe I busted the line to the gauge. Check at the dump, but no, it looks ok.

Get home, and "step away from the truck" and think- what's the check out procedure?
1. Can you move the wastgate lever while running? Nope? Oh, duh, that's because it's fully extended, jerk.
2. Vacuum at turbo can - 0.
3 - vacuum a the solenoid? 20#.
4. So why did the solenoid suddenly go out? Let's see - it's not getting a signal from the boost sensor. Whoa? I had to move my homemade Boost fooler when working on the OPS realy, and that R/Shack resistor had really fine terminals.. OK, disconnect the fooler from the boost sensor -( I used spade connectoors, just in case I ever needed to pull it). Yep, by golly no continuity between the 2 contacts.! Run to R/Shack, get another one ( $2.59), set it to 2100 ohms, replace wiring, and this time, set the whole bottom end ( wiring and pins) in Hot melt glue.
Re-install, test drive, and around the block - I got Boost!.

Thanks to the Diesel Page, I was able to reduce the panicking and trouble shoot from the drive-way. 'Course, if I hadn't been reading this place so much, I wouldn't have had the Fooler on there to begin with.. :rolleyes: .

BTW - 3 startups, and the Code cleared. I did do the hold the Brake down and press the accel pedal 3 times, but I don't think that did anything. I'll check the manual to see what clears the code, bet it's 3 "clean" restarts.

Yeah - Time to step away from the 'puter, and check for the paper.. Enjoy the day, a Safe and Happy Labor Day to all.

Oh, no I don't have a Tech II scanner. Without gauges, I wouldn't have had a clue about the SES light.

Fredeberle
09-05-2004, 08:52
MTTwister,
Those little problems are just to keep you out of mischief. :D
Who wants to read the paper anyway! :confused:
Have a great weekend and be thankful your not in Florida. ;)
Fred