PDA

View Full Version : manual shifting problems

vault
03-05-2011, 14:48
So my truck which now has 161,000mi over the past month became more and more dificult to shift (NV4500) all gears. I check the fluid level and it was down about 3/4 of a quart. filled it up with the approprite amsoil and it shifts better but still ocassionally doesn't like to go into some gears 5th is the most frequent. Seems to be slightly more frequent after driving 10-15 mi. I've done the clutch spin down test and some times it will shift into reverse sometimes it won't.

So I've check the clutch master resivoir and fluid level was OK. Watched the slave travel and the first time it only moved the clutch fork 3/4" the manual calls for over an inch or more. I pumped the clutch several times and re checked the travel and it was over an 1". I just blocked the clutch pedal to the floor and am going to see if the slave backs off any.

Can a clutch master slave cause this with out creating any clutch drag? The manual indicates it could. My original thought was I- pilot bearing and or bad syncro(s).

trbankii
03-05-2011, 18:54
Might want to take a look through this thread here (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31207).

Mine shifted hard when I bought it (used). After the repairs detailed there it has been trouble free.

a5150nut
03-05-2011, 20:19
Have you tried bleading air out of the slave cylinder? Allen scew in slave near where line comes in.

Anything you do to the master and slave be very carefull. They crack from the slightes prying on the lines.

vault
03-06-2011, 22:51
I after waiting 30 min I took it for a 30mi. drive and it shifter beautifully. The clutch pedal felt much firmer and it disengaged at the beginning of depressing the pedal rather than near the end. I can't believe that was the problem and there was no noticeable clutch drag. Thanks for you replies.

z28cp
03-23-2011, 12:08
Mine has been having issues that would seem to indicate that it is time to replace the fork and pivot ball. However, there is one oddity... If it is cool/cold outside, it seems to work fine. But as soon as it warms up a bit outside, say 50*F+, it has the issue where it seems the clutch won't disengage far enough.

I would think that the fork/pivot ball issue would not be affected by temperature...?

Ideas? I already have the fork/pivot ball on hand, and with 270k miles on it, it probably needs to be replaced regardless. But the temperature issue has me confused.