PDA

View Full Version : K & N a deal breaker

Enigma
03-07-2011, 01:41
Looking at a truck. Everything looks good. Sounds like the owner is trying to do all the right things.

Then he tells me he has a K & N inside the factory housing on a 06 LLY.

100k on engine. I have been reading K & N is a no no on these forums.

Should this be a deal breaker?

Mark Rinker
03-07-2011, 06:05
I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker, but would return to an OEM filter element if you purchase the truck.

You might also read up elsewhere on these forums on how to clean the MAF, which can get dirty from oil / particles that are allowed to pass through the K&N.

Experiment: Take a perfectly clean white rag or paper towel and wipe clean the inside of the air intake downstream of the K&N filter. Then, using a similar towel, wipe down the air intake downstream of an OEM paper filter.

My bet is you'll see the difference if the K&N has been in service for awhile...

rapidoxidationman
03-07-2011, 08:42
I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker, but would return to an OEM filter element if you purchase the truck.

You might also read up elsewhere on these forums on how to clean the MAF, which can get dirty from oil / particles that are allowed to pass through the K&N.

Experiment: Take a perfectly clean white rag or paper towel and wipe clean the inside of the air intake downstream of the K&N filter. Then, using a similar towel, wipe down the air intake downstream of an OEM paper filter.

My bet is you'll see the difference if the K&N has been in service for awhile...

^ This.

My '05 LLY came with a K&N in the housing. I changed it and didn't sweat it. Hasn't been a problem.