PDA

View Full Version : Stuck glow plugs

Pete in MA
03-07-2011, 21:27
In my 1986 M1008 6.2 military diesel, four of eight glow plugs are stuck. Unthreaded plug can't be tugged out due to swollen or distorted element caused by 24 volts hitting plugs instead of 12, due to resistor failure. Bypassed resistor, and tried putting 12 volts to one plug to heat it immediately before trying to pull it out, thinking the heat might soften the element enough to get the plug out. No go. Suggestions?

Kennedy
03-08-2011, 08:25
There are really 2 ways that I am familiar with:

1) Through the hole: An extraction tool like the OTC 6005 Lil Diesel glow plug tool. This tool drags the tip out through the hole.

2) Through the injector hole: Remove injector and break off the tip inside. Use caution and stuff a paper towel in precup slot to prevent chunks from falling through to main chamber.

Pete in MA
03-08-2011, 20:16
Thanks Kennedy. I found the tool on ToolFetch (about $100), and noticed in specs that it services GM 6.5L diesels. Also the 6.2?

Pete in MA

Yukon6.2
03-09-2011, 08:48
Hi
6.2/6.5 same animal,minor differances.Most parts will switch back and forth,other than some differances between yrs,Glow plugs same.
$100 dollars is a lot for the tool.
Have you tried threading the plugs out once they hit the swoolen part?
I had one plug that had exploded the tip.It came out a little past the threads then stoped.I grabed it with vicegrips and applyed a little pulling preasure as i turned it and the threads began to grab the swoolen part.I got it out carefully,buy turning and pulling slightly.I was lucky there wasn't much holding the tip on.
Even if you get the tool,if all your plugs are bad chances are you will have to pull some injectors to make sure you get the tips out.You do not want them to break off and fall through the precup holes.
If it were to happen to me again i think i would pull the injector.it was scary how little was holding it together.
Good Luck
Thomas

JohnC
03-09-2011, 10:14
Before you spend $100, search for previous posts. There are many ways to deal with the problem without special tools.

Personally, I'd pull the injector out and stuff a rag in the hole. That way, no matter what happens, broken bits won't go into the combustion chamber. then, I'd just break it off and pull all the parts out the injector hole.

You can fool around for a couple of hours trying to get it out, or just do it...

DmaxMaverick
03-09-2011, 11:09
Before you spend $100, search for previous posts. There are many ways to deal with the problem without special tools.

Personally, I'd pull the injector out and stuff a rag in the hole. That way, no matter what happens, broken bits won't go into the combustion chamber. then, I'd just break it off and pull all the parts out the injector hole.

You can fool around for a couple of hours trying to get it out, or just do it...

I prefer this method, but only take seconds once the injector is out. Plug the flash hole, then apply shop air to the GP hole. It will all come out, in a hurry. Wear eye protection.