PDA

View Full Version : Service Questions

hogbody
03-09-2011, 07:02
Just had my 2003 Duramax (89,000 Miles) in for some service. After I got the requested things done the service manager said I needed a new hydroboost due to leaking, power steering hoses, serp. belt and Diesel EFI injector service.

He gave me a quote and had the mechanic show me the problems. There is some wetness around the lower power steering hose fittings and a light coating of "oil" on the hydroboost. No indications of heavy leakage more like seepage as if someone sprayed it with W-40 or ?. Not saying they did that just saying that is the way it looked and felt. Brakes are working just fine.

I went into sticker shock with the repair quotes. $467. for the lines, $865. for the hydroboost and $140 for the injector service. Their parts prices were marked up 100% over gm parts direct and 125% over a parts store. The labor rate is over $100. per hour.

I told them that I needed to think about the repairs and delay due to the costs. I have the ability to do most of the work myself but had to take the truck in due to other obligations and a lack of time to work on it. I don't mind paying a fair price but this looks like a stick up!

I forgot to ask them what the injector service involved. I assume it is dumping chemicals in the tank and no more. Is this the case?

Thanks, Larry

DmaxMaverick
03-09-2011, 07:51
"Stick up" sounds about right.

The lines, if they are leaking, are probably the only valid suggestion on the list. These aren't rocket science, and replacement is as simple as it appears. You can either replace with new, or repair the hose-tube coupling. Fluid seepage here is typical, and has been the same since 1982.

The HB units almost always seep a little (usually around the accumulator) after a couple/few years in service. If it's only a stain of oil and the brake assist works well (including the reserve -engine off- brake assist), it is probably OK. I do suggest a flush/fill of the fluid. Use synthetic Dexron ATF (or pay 5X more for inferior "PS Fluid") and add about 4 oz. of Gunk Trans-Medic (don't use Trans-X) and run it for one oil change interval ( or about 5K miles). After, flush/fill with fresh synthetic ATF only and run it for (at least) another 8 years and 90K miles (more info on that, if you need it). The only reasons for HB replacement should be a dripping leak or functional failure. Check the firewall where the pushrod passes for leakage (get up there with a flashlight). The same applies: Fluid seepage is acceptable, drips/runs are not.

The "Diesel EFI injector service" can't be more than a snake-oil treatment. This sounds more like a recommendation for a gasser, which may be valid in some specific conditions. I do recommend regular use of a quality fuel additive with injector cleaning properties, but there is no "Diesel EFI injector service" that will provide any advantage or repair/restore. If you have issues with the "Diesel EFI injector system", a "service" isn't going to do anything for you, at all. Continue (or start) using a quality additive, as a preventive measure, not a treatment for an existing issue.

If you can turn a wrench and have a place to do it, pay yourself for the job. These are among the most simple of service items. Even HB replacement is simple, but requires a lot of time due to difficult access of the fasteners.

Kennedy
03-09-2011, 08:05
A good washing now and then is nice for the hydroboost area etc. I put a spot of duct tape over the vent on the FICM and wash the entire engine bay. The film of oil will likely recur when if a new hydroboost is installed.

hogbody
03-09-2011, 12:13
Thanks for the helpful info. This dealer did the injector replacement on warranty about 3 yrs ago and the time seemed pretty reasonable. That service manager is now gone and it looks like they have gone the way of all good service departments........commission sales.

Thanks again.

Larry

DmaxMaverick
03-09-2011, 17:08
Yep. A commission-sales service department is like a police department with a ticket quota. What do you think would happen?