PDA

View Full Version : Excess oil????

im_chad
03-09-2011, 10:15
Well here is the background. I have an 03 LB7 with 180K. I have been running Amsoil full synthetic 15-40 since 50K.
I got the low oil pressure warning on the DIC. When I checked the dipstick it seemed to be too full. So I completed an oil change, I was shocked to find that I drained nearly 5 gallons of fluid out of the pan!?! It looked and smelled just like normal oil but the viscosity seemed really thin.
Where could the excess fluid have come from?

Thanks

Mark Rinker
03-09-2011, 10:22
Welcome aboard.

My guess is that your crankcase oil is being diluted with diesel fuel from one or more failed injectors, or a leaking fuel return line from one or more injectors, under the valve covers.

If you search these forums, you'll find this is a common malady with the LB7 engine family (2001-2004.5) and is usually remedied by replacing all 8 injectors.

Good news? The Duramax lives up to its name, I have yet to hear of anyone with cylinder scoring or bearing issues as a result of the diluted oil. That being said, I wouldn't continue to operate the truck until the problem is corrected.

Q: Any white smoke at idle in your exhaust?

Kennedy
03-09-2011, 10:33
I would agree. Time for a set of injectors and as always I recommend replacing all 8 supply lines as well.

im_chad
03-09-2011, 13:11
Thanks for the replies. I have been inquiring the forum for a few years and your experience and support has always been appreciated.

As for the white smoke, no; not at startup, cold, hot or idle.

A Big THANK YOU to you sirs!

More Power
04-04-2011, 10:25
Rough running, especially at lower engine speeds, usually accompanies an overfull crankcase. Crankshaft churning of the mixture interferes with engine balance.

Jim