PDA

View Full Version : New Peninsular motor

RLAM
05-11-2004, 08:13
Hi people:
Just an update on the new motor. Finally got it installed and running and I am impressed.It runs real well and flattens out the hill's just like it should. Peak boost is at 16 psi and cruses at about 4 psi.Exaust temp stays in a normal range and water temp does not move.This is based on a short (60 mile) run on the freeway. I have not yet pulled any serious hill's. I did tow my Toyota on 1/2 of this run and it seemed like it was not even there. I think Matt and the folks at Peninsular hit it right on the head with this motor, however, I will let you know for sure in 100K miles. Now if he would just send me some paper work , I would be a happy camper. I am still considering a Heath re-flash,but, I don't know if I really need it.I will ck. with Bill and see what he thinks.

More Power
05-11-2004, 15:50
Did you get Pen's turbo as part of the package? If not, keep it in the back of your mind as you travel this summer. It can reduce exhaust temps and engine coolant temps (runs with an efficient 18 or so PSI = more air, cleaner exhaust, cooler temps & more power).

MP

JoeyD
05-11-2004, 18:29
How much was it and what options did you get?

RLAM
05-11-2004, 19:18
MP&Joey D
I did get the Penn Turbo and the 97 cooling up grades (manifold,thermostats and high flow pump).I don't know what other options are available, but ,I did stick with the electronic pump. :D Matt sent a boost controler along with the turbo and so far,no codes or problems. I will run it a little harder this week end and keep you posted.The cost was $8200. I probably will be able to boost 18 psi, I just have not run it that hard yet.I would like to give the rings a little time before I get to excited.

C.K. Piquup
05-12-2004, 02:01
Do you know for sure that the turbo is a GM8?I assumed mine was(I think from text on website).I believe peninsular uses a larger Switzer turbo,then modified.That`s what came with my motor in Dec`03.

RLAM
05-12-2004, 12:30
Piquip:
Your right, I need to update my profile

C.K. Piquup
05-12-2004, 18:05
RLAM,sounds like a choice getaway vehicle you have there.If it moves along with little throttle,it must be right thrifty on the fuel for an RV.

RLAM
05-13-2004, 10:27
Piquip:
Don't know about fuel milage yet(less than 200 miles so far) but I am hopeing that it will be reasionable. I will keep you posted. tongue.gif

RLAM
05-15-2004, 14:51
Piquip:
First tank shows 11.5 mpg. Not to bad for a 15,000 rig. Should get a little better after break in and a little more tuning. I would like to see 13. Actually, I would like to see 25mpg, but, we both know better than that tongue.gif