PDA

View Full Version : Rough start in morning

madmikek2500
03-10-2011, 14:57
So here is my issue.... 1995 2500 surburban 6.5 turbo new motor installed with new pump,injectors,glowplugs,turbo,lift pump,computer,fuel filter almost everything. fuel pressure 5 lbs. starts and chugs and blows smoke for 30-40 seconds. raise idle with foot and levels out. it seems to me the timing is not advancing enough 12.4 with tech 2. disconnect temp.sensor idle picks up seems pump advances. I have been all over this truck and it is driving me crazy. once it is started it starts fine after that checked fuel return for air none present. glow plugs are getting juice. any suggestions??

Kennedy
03-10-2011, 15:19
No mention of climatic conditions...

Most put in the 60g glow plugs which degrade starting performance. I'd suggest trying a set of my Quick Heat plugs.

Also try plugging in to see if temp helps which I am sure it would.

Check ECT reading versus ambient and other temp sensors as well.

jhornsby3
03-10-2011, 19:26
I have been having the very same issue with mine. And it did start when I changed the glows to the 60G. That makes perfect since. Thanks, John. I will check and see what I took out. With the looks of the coolant sensor on the cross over I think I should go ahead and replace that as well.

Again thanks,

John

madmikek2500
03-10-2011, 19:30
I have checked the ect to ambient and they both read within 2 degrees of each other 36/38 i am running hds309s i think? I stumbled on another issue the boost sensor reads 15psi/2.65volts at idle I checked it with gauge and there is no boost at idle. put vaccumme gauge on sensor and i does zero out but then goes back to 15. Thanks

JohnC
03-10-2011, 19:41
It's manifold pressure, not boost. 15 psi is ambient pressure, zero boost.

What is your TDC offset? That's the best measure of static pump timing.

Can you manually trigger the glow plugs while it's running rough to see if it smooths out? If it does, they're just not hot enough.

madmikek2500
03-11-2011, 04:47
tdc offset is -.56 actual 3.5-3.7 if memory serves me right. so the reading of 15 lbs on tech 2 is correct? I pulled a vaccuum on sensor this morning it started better but SES light was on.

Robyn
03-11-2011, 08:33
Get the TDCO up to -1.8 and I will bet that the issue will go away.

I used a set of 60G plugs in DaHooooley and never had any issues with cold starts.

The advance is probably the issue. -.56 is pretty soft.

My 94 Burb would start without the heater even at 5F and not even any real smoke.

That thing would make a powerstroke blush though, OMG it would rattle when cold. (TDCO was -1.9)

Try resetting the TDCO and then move on from there.

Missy