PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L Used take out?

jetpltrich
03-11-2011, 08:35
Here is a link to this ebay seller. These are take outs from Humvee and I was wondering what one is getting? Are they as indicated, are they junk or worthy of a swap into a civilian vehicle?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Chevy-6-2-Diesel-Engine-Excellent-Used-Take-Out-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e6690340QQitemZ36034 7927360QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Thanks in advance.

Rich

jetpltrich
03-16-2011, 09:53
Anyone? :(

85-m1028
03-16-2011, 22:03
I got one from teds, pretty much as described except not as pretty is was definantly a used engine! I got a new balancer, 110 gph water pump, and stuck in some timing gears. a fresh pump and injectors couldn't hurt either!

You will need to swap out the 24v shut off solenoid for a 12v, and intake is lower down in the valley.

jetpltrich
03-17-2011, 09:18
Thanks, I have a doner engine to take an intake, exhaust manifolds and other things from.

In your opinion was the engine low mileage as he suggests?

DmaxMaverick
03-17-2011, 10:52
Mileage on military vehicles is irrelevant, and absolutely useless. Unless you have the complete service jacket on the vehicle, you have no way of knowing the service dates, maintenance and run time (engine hours) of the engine in question. If the vehicle was deployed, it may, or may not, have received scheduled maintenance, depending on the deployment area and conditions. The engine pictured has been completely painted since removal, so you have no indication of what it looked like when it was removed. They usually have to be pretty bad looking if they go through the trouble of stripping/painting them, or that's a stock photo and not the actual engine you'll receive.

"Military take-outs", as described, don't really exist. They don't remove/replace a working engine. They R/R them at specific service intervals, or at failure. The HMMWV's that received "upgrades" were only during these times. They didn't/don't routinely replace good engines. The depot rotation on these is/was more than sufficient to keep the upgrade stock available (there are more vehicles awaiting repair than there is personnel to perform the jobs). This isn't to say you won't get a good one. For what it's worth.

On the same note.....
I used to buy military/government "surplus" stuff. Years ago, I quit doing it. It occurred to me that it didn't make sense to buy something that I've already paid for (at an exorbitant price, I might add). I paid for the unit, service, maintenance, transportation, administration and every penny of every expense involved with every piece of "government" property. To pay for it again, and often at a premium price, is ludicrous.

Robyn
03-17-2011, 11:32
X2 ;)

Some of the low mile (odometer) engines that been deployed, in many cases were run under terrible conditions and have been allowed to Idle for hours on end in the High heat of the desert.

Operators out there could give a rip if the thing overheats or does whatever, just as long as it gets them home.

I looked into some of these engines that were in running HMMWV and they were a sorry lot for sure.

Could have got a complete truck cheap too, but decided against it.

Not really sure what to say, there have I know been situations where folks have gotten some good stuff.

My worry would be, yeah, the compression is good and it checks out "NOW" but what does it look like on the inside and how close to failure is it.

After having swapped a few of these engines, I really am not in love with the in and out thing much any more.

Missy

DmaxMaverick
03-17-2011, 12:00
Other things I noticed in the description.........

Oil pressure. Seems excessively high, even for a new engine. Either something is wrong with it, the wrong oil pump is installed (high volume---NOT advised), or the seller isn't being truthful (just threw out a "good sounding" number, or doesn't know how to test). If this is the case, I'd be suspect about the other claims. "Good compression" may mean it met the minimum spec, which could indicate an engine on the edge of the need for overhaul.

jetpltrich
03-17-2011, 13:47
Okay, thanks for the info. Maybe rebuild the one I got is the route I should take. Sounds like a good deal, want to keep the vehicle going with minimal down time. Things to ponder.

Rich

ApocBane
04-06-2011, 09:33
Thanks for the heads up. I was considering buying one of these for a swap. I'll look for a rebuild. How much do those usually run?