PDA

View Full Version : No CJ-4 oil in a 6.5?

Warren96
03-11-2011, 15:49
I heard on the grapevine that CJ-4 oil can't be used in a 6.5L diesel.The side of a bottle of CJ-4 says that it exceeds the CF-4 API services, that my 1994 requires. Can anybody else shine a little light on this ?

Robyn
03-11-2011, 18:49
I use either Rotella T 15-40 or Delo 400 15-40 and let it go at that.

I dont worry too much about all the fancy numbers, just use either of those two oils and watch the Bazillions of miles click by.

Missy

racer55
03-12-2011, 12:37
It is the new generation of diesel oil made to not interfere with emissions equipment on the new ULSD engines.

There is no harm whatsoever using it in a 6.5,if the 6.5 is using old farm fuel however the oil may need to be changed more frequently from contamination of higher sulfer levels.

The new rules mean thet even farm fuel(off highway)sulfer level is being reduced to the same as road fuel so the contamination is not likely to occur.

arveetek
03-12-2011, 13:23
The CJ-4 oil is one of the later designations, and is supposed to be compatible with any older engine that used previous designations. In other words, CJ-4 will work wherever CI-4 oils were recommended.

I have noticed a large increase in oil consumption in my 6.5L, and I've been using Rotella T for quite some time. Well, Shell has changed their formulas to meet the new lower-emission CJ-4 ratings, and I suspect that might contribute to more oil consumption in older engines. It's just a theory, though.

Also, good luck trying to find a CI-4 oil. The CJ-4's have pretty much taken over the oil selections. I even tried to special order some CI-4 Delo 400, but it came in as CJ-4 Delo 400E.

I switched to Delvac 1300 Super recently (also a CJ-4) to see if my oil consumption changes any. I'll report back when I put a few more miles on it.

Casey