PDA

View Full Version : ZF-6 Oil

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-11-2011, 17:02
My buddy has an 03' with the ZF-6. He wants to do a oil change on it and isn't sure what to put back in. I know the NV4500's use a GL4, but I am unsure what to put into the ZF-6.

dieseldummy
03-11-2011, 21:05
A quality synthetic ATF like Mobile works. The come with Allison Transynd from the factory, that's what I always used.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-12-2011, 11:08
My buddy has an 03' with the ZF-6. He wants to do a oil change on it and isn't sure what to put back in. I know the NV4500's use a GL4, but I am unsure what to put into the ZF-6.

its a standard trans...

DmaxMaverick
03-12-2011, 13:49
its a standard trans...
Of course it is. Use synthetic Dexron III ATF. Mobil-1, Red Line, Amsoil, etc.

dieseldummy
03-12-2011, 23:02
its a standard trans...

Yeah, I know. I can get out my official GM training video/manual and make copies for you if you'd like. GM/Allison Transynd is the GM approved oil. I think I even have a GM part number for an expensive quart bottle somewhere.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-13-2011, 10:15
haha, okay i believe you guys. i just wanted to make sure that there was correct info before i tell my buddy what to put into his tranny. any wrong information i gave him would be my responsibility not yours.

i will let him know what to use.

why the switch to an atf? isn't it a lighter oil then what i would be running in my trans?

JohnC
03-13-2011, 10:25
GM/Allison Transynd is the GM approved oil.

So, let me get this straight. Allison recommends Transynd for use in the Allison 1000 but GM specs Dexron VI. Then, GM recommends Allison Transynd for use in the ZF manual? :confused:

DmaxMaverick
03-13-2011, 11:11
The factory fill for the ZF is NOT Transynd. Transynd is an approved fluid (only because it is Dexron III compatible), but the ZF spec is Dexron III, with a recommendation of synthetic.

The close tolerances of the ZF requires a lighter lube oil. The use of GL-x lube will dramatically shorten the life of the tranny. Similar to most all transfer cases.

dieseldummy
03-13-2011, 19:56
So, let me get this straight. Allison recommends Transynd for use in the Allison 1000 but GM specs Dexron VI. Then, GM recommends Allison Transynd for use in the ZF manual? :confused:

Well, back in the day when I was looking for oil for my ZF6, my local dealer cross referenced the GM part number for oil to what appeared to be GM's rebottled transynd... That's where that came from. Usually the ZF6 has a GM part number for what oil to put in it on one of the PTO covers.

BTW, Dex VI wasn't out when these were new wise guy...