PDA

View Full Version : elctronic or mechanical fuel injection 6.5 turbo

laidback383
03-13-2011, 16:27
I'm starting my build and i was wondering, should i use the stock injection on my 1995 donor or i also have a possible 2002 3500 HD with a 6.5 turbo as well i can use for a donor. I like OBD2, but i have wondered if mechanical injection is better. I'm not looking for huge power just good reliability.

DmaxMaverick
03-13-2011, 17:08
MFI vs. EFI both have their advantages/disadvantages. You'll have to weigh your needs, wants and abilities for that answer.

Neither of the vehicles you mention were ever MFI, stock. The 95 is OBD-I, and the 2002 is OBD-II, but both are EFI. They are essentially interchangeable, with minor harness differences and completely different PCM's. The most practical between them may be determined by the use and platform you intend.

Robyn
03-14-2011, 07:01
OK, the donor is a 95 truck (OBD1 with DS4 IP)

What is the rig that your installing the engine in???

If you are installing the engine in a vehicle that did not have a diesel in the first place, do yourself a real favor and stay as far away from the DS4 IP and all its electronics as you can.

A diesel swap is really easy using a DB2 injection pump.

I wire to activate the Pump and a second wire that runs the cold advance and the fast idle solenoid.

More info please

Missy

laidback383
03-15-2011, 13:57
The rig is still in the air. But I'm leaning towards a crew cab dually i have 4 mint doors and I found a cab and a frame everything mid 90's. I have built a few fuel injected cars so the electrical cant be that bad, but with my 95 needing a new throttle pedal so I'm not locked down on any thing right now. Will be used for a daily driver with a minor in towing. Cruse, air, power locks and windows are on the must have list.

Robyn
03-15-2011, 17:48
Depending on the tranny you choose, I personally would not touch a DS4 electronic on a dieing bet if I had the choice to use a DB2 (4911)

If you are going to run the 4L80 auto tranny, then the control issues come up.

Now you can use the early 90's (92-93) 6.5 injection pump (4911) and run the tranny with the early style TCM unit.

They worked really well.

I had a 93 GMC 2500 with the turbo 6.5 and it was a swell little truck.

Ran great, never had any issues at all.

Again I would not deliberately tray and swap in the full electronics for the DS4 IP if you dont have to.

Making a setup thats already there is a different story. Getting the DB2 working in harmony with the 4L80 that was setup to run with the DS4 can be done but its a challenge for sure.

Missy

laidback383
03-16-2011, 05:40
I have seen a few articles that talk about the steps to take. I have also been following you build Missy and i must say it sound great. I cant wait to see it done. Thanks for your time it means a lot to get feed back. I hope to post some pics soon.

Robyn
03-16-2011, 05:57
Thaks for the vote of confidence.

Unfortunately this build is the second time around for "DaHoooley"

I built an engine for it back in summer of 09 and it ended badly.

Bought a used block from an engine rebuilders supply that was "SUPPOSED" to be a good one.

I found out after we got all done that it had been decked on one cylinder bank previously and so it ended up being cut twice.

I decided to use a Cometic MLS head gasket on the one side in order to save the block.

All went well for about 8 months until the MLS gasket gave up the show.

Engine ran really sweet up to that point.

I had bored the block .020 OS and really had a nice job (Yeah right)

This time is going to be a tad different.
A spanky new block and a fresh crank along with some new heads too.

The other items left from the engine will be reused.

Let us hope that this one will last.

I am no stranger to rebuilding the 6.5 , but its a tough nut to chew when one fails like this one did.

Keep us posted on your project.

Missy