PDA

View Full Version : Best air filter?

arveetek
03-14-2011, 11:42
I picked up a 1997 canister-style air filter housing to replace the flat panel air filter on my 1995.

I usually use WIX filters. Is there a better alternative, besides K&N? I want free-flowing, but still need good filtering.

Thanks,

Casey

JohnC
03-14-2011, 11:46
Not everyone considers K&N a "better" alternative...

I'd stick with a good quality disposable paper filter myself...

suburbanK-2500HD
03-14-2011, 13:49
My experience with K&N filters at work is that they kill about one Air mass meter each year, some uses K&N on the Subaru WRX\GT´s.

we have some regular coming back..

My Only idea must be that the dont filter good enough....

Kennedy
03-14-2011, 14:43
Uni oiled foam.

racer55
03-15-2011, 10:27
I have read posts that the amsoil filters with the 100,000 mile warranty are good.
Apparently you just vacume them out regularly.
I have not tried them myself but do consider trying 1 sometime.

As far as K&N go I was once told by a racing ledgend that if they were the best there was,they would be in use by every team in NASCAR with thier unlimited budgets-they don`t use them at all so what`s that tell ya.

DmaxMaverick
03-15-2011, 13:17
I have read posts that the amsoil filters with the 100,000 mile warranty are good.
Apparently you just vacume them out regularly.
I have not tried them myself but do consider trying 1 sometime.

As far as K&N go I was once told by a racing ledgend that if they were the best there was,they would be in use by every team in NASCAR with thier unlimited budgets-they don`t use them at all so what`s that tell ya.

I use the Amsoil "dry-cleanable" filter on my 2001. I like it. Cleaning it is easy, fast and non-messy, only using a Shop-Vac. It flows as well, or better, than an OEM type paper filter (according to turbo response and boost reading comparisons). Each time I service the filter, I wipe clean and apply a thin coat of oil on the inside of the intake pipe (easy to do with a 4 inch pipe). I have yet to wipe out any "color", grit or anything other than the oil I put in there.

It is my opinion, based on personal and professional experience, that K&N oiled gauze air filter use should be limited to off-highway, competition, and very infrequent use. They should never be used on a vehicle driven regularly (daily driver, commercial, hauling, etc.), unless local conditions are specifically favorable, and there is very little or no, condition of airborne particulates.

arveetek
03-15-2011, 18:55
Not everyone considers K&N a "better" alternative...

Yeah, I didn't mean to call K&N better, it just got worded that way. I meant to ask what other alternatives there were besides the K&N that most people seem to love.

I still remember the Amsoil demonstration at the 2001 Rendezvous in Ohio, where the Amsoil filter was compared to the K&N.....lots of junk got past the K&N....not what I want for my engine!!

I'm just wanting to see what everyone is using.

Casey

rustyk
03-16-2011, 19:05
Wix or Danaldson. I'm trying to figure a way to get a Donaldson box into my motorhome, but Donaldson makes an OEM style filter for the 6.5.

a5150nut
03-16-2011, 21:12
Company I worked for put Donaldsons on their 3/4 ton Ford diesels. Sure made a difference and the oil stayed clean longer. Go figure. . .

arveetek
03-18-2011, 06:07
Thanks everyone.

I swapped in an "F" code non-EGR intake last night, and swapped out the air box for the newer 97 canister style. I installed a WIX filter. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, as I still need to drill and tap the upper plenum for my boost gauge.

Casey

DmaxMaverick
03-18-2011, 11:33
Before you drill/tap, have a look HERE (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/adpeeps/adpeeps.php?bfunction=clickad&uid=100000&bzone=directlink&bsize=468x60&btype=3&campaignid=671491&adno=36&transferurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pmdcable.com). He sells a bolt (Turbo Boost Bolt) that replaces one of the plenum cover bolts, and is threaded to accept a boost gage fitting. No drilling, no tapping, no mess.

arveetek
03-18-2011, 18:51
Before you drill/tap, have a look HERE (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/adpeeps/adpeeps.php?bfunction=clickad&uid=100000&bzone=directlink&bsize=468x60&btype=3&campaignid=671491&adno=36&transferurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pmdcable.com). He sells a bolt (Turbo Boost Bolt) that replaces one of the plenum cover bolts, and is threaded to accept a boost gage fitting. No drilling, no tapping, no mess.

Thanks, but I took the upper plenum to work with me today, and I had it drilled and tapped in about 10 minutes!!

It's amazing how restricted the EGR style intake setup is....it's hard to believe that the engine could even breathe at all. Of course, I suppose the turbo is able to shove enough air when needed, so it shouldn't matter too much. Still, this free-flowing F code intake looks like it should flow so much more air!

One thing I noticed about the air cleaner housings, though. The '97 has a more restricted opening from where it turns round into an oval shape...the '95 housing actually has a larger oval opening. I thought that was weird. I wish the pipe would stay round all the way from the filter to the turbo inlet. But I see why they "squished" it to clear the battery and such.

Casey