PDA

View Full Version : Irishman In Trouble 6.2 Knock /smoke?

kizmax
03-15-2011, 06:49
Hi All , I Have Recently Purchased A 6.2 Diesel Landrover Discovery And So Far I Have Changed The Heater Plugs , The Injectors Trying To Sort Out Hard Starting And Lots Of White/blue Smoke ,but No Joy
Smoke Is A Little Better
Still Hard To Start
And Now I Have A Knock On One Cylinder Which Goes When I Open The Injector Line, So Does Most Of The Smoke??
Tried Swopping Out The Injector Which Is New But No Joy?
The Only Thing I Noticed Is When I Crank The Injector Line Open ,the Diesel Coming Out Seem To Be Full Of Air Bubbles.?
More So Than Any Of The Other Injector Pipes
Dont Want To Go Messing With The Pump Yet Especially Seeing As Its Probably The Only One In Ireland
Any Help Is Much Apprieciated
:d

Robyn
03-15-2011, 07:23
Did this issue just happen or did the rig come to you this way??

To check for air issues, install a clear plastic line on the top of the IP and jumper it to the rubber fuel return.

Place a LOOP in that plastic line. Run the engine and see what passes through the plastic line.

If you get a stream of bubbles then you need to find out where the air is getting into the inlet side of the system.

Anything before the fuel pump is suspect.

Air will make starting really tough.

Check it out and keep us posted.

Missy

kizmax
03-15-2011, 10:36
Hi thanks for your reply ,it was running ok when it arrived but was smoking when cold , the knock is since the injectors/heater plugs were replaced ,
I will try the clear pipe thing tomorrow and report back!!:D

Robyn
03-15-2011, 17:40
The plugs if not working well can cause a smokey startup, but once the thing is lit, it should clear out quickly and run fine.

I am suspect that maybe you have a bad squirt or two.

Were these remans or new ones???

Missy

kizmax
03-16-2011, 14:02
Hi again I did the clear pipe thing and there are airbubbles in there small and lots of them , so I rekon I will have to find the leak ,
but why only one cylinder is affected I still cant figure out
injectors are remans from USA and heaters are new

anyway tomorrow is patricks day so have a good one!:D

Robyn
03-16-2011, 17:27
Fix the air leak and then sort out the issue with the injector.

Once the air issue is out of the way the other problem may just go away.

If not you may have one bad injector.

Keep us posted

missy

kizmax
03-18-2011, 11:28
something that might make sense to you is when I open any injector pipe it squirts diesel in a pulse manner , but when I open the affected injector it seems to be more suds bubbles and air lots of tiny bubbles instead of squirts.
I wonder if that pipe is sucking in air and if so would that cause my knocking and smoking?:confused:

Robyn
03-19-2011, 06:12
The injector lines only run under high pressure, not possible for them to "SUCK" in air.

Any air in the system has to come into the injection pump from the lift pump side of the system or from the tank and lines.

Find the source of the air thats coming into the system, fix that, then sort out any issues that remain.

You can't do much to diagnose the knocking issue, as long as there is air getting into the system.

Somewhere between the suction side of the lift pump and the tank, is a small leak.

Keep us posted.

Missy

kizmax
04-02-2011, 14:57
Still no joy made video part 1&2 for you to see & hear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9pITNxDkVA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZOlVnfDL04

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

JohnC
04-02-2011, 15:47
The injector lines only run under high pressure, not possible for them to "SUCK" in air.
Could a leaky injector allow compression pressure back into the injection line? When the line is loosened, both the injection pressure and the compression pressure could then leak out the junction of the line and injector???

Robyn
04-02-2011, 19:42
Swap the injector of the cylinder thats having the issues with one thats working OK.

If the trouble follows the injector then the trouble is the injector, if the issue stays with that one cylinder then I suspect the Injection pump has an issue with the one plunger.

Give the swap a try and see what happens.

Missy

kizmax
04-03-2011, 11:17
Thanks Guys/girls , swapped 2 injectors and and then I noticed the air bubbles coming from fouer of the new heater plugtops ,cant believe it, anyway put back 4 of the old plugs and the knock is 80/90 % gone .
didnt have time to check any further but has anyone had this before with new heater plugs , the other 10 % may be another heater plug leaking pressure we weill have to wait and see
cheers again:o

DmaxMaverick
04-03-2011, 13:15
Dirty glow plug hole threads and/or seats. The plugs seat on a bevel, metal to metal. Clean all the holes with a bronze bore brush (phosphor-bronze gun bore brush, .40-.45 cal.) and WD40. You may need several of them. I use them attached to a cordless drill and low speed. Don't use a steel brush. Bronze is nearly harmless if a bristle gets loose inside, but steel (stainless steel) wire would cause damage. When done, before installing the plugs, spin the engine over some to blow out any junk that was loosened, and clear the solvent.

If they still leak, you have either bad or wrong glow plugs.

kizmax
04-04-2011, 00:31
Hi all the plugs are new z miles since fitting and the leak is from the top near the spade connector looks like resin may have a defect ,will be trying to isolate the remaining knock today ,and will up date you
will also remove all the plugs to blow out any particles thanks for the advise
cheers
justin:)

DmaxMaverick
04-04-2011, 05:49
If the plugs are leaking at the connector/insulator, they are bad. Plain and simple. They shouldn't leak, if they are good. Don't use any plugs from that set (there may be other issues with them, considering your current condition). Get new, or replace with your older plugs until you get new, good plugs. What brand, and where did you get them? Diagnosing a hard start issue with questionable plugs is an exercise in futility.

phantom309
04-04-2011, 18:55
poor glow plugs or not,. shouldn't make any difference to a knocking/missing injector,.

anybody else confused here? bubbles ,. injectors,.. smoke,. change glow plugs .. 85% better?

hmmmm,.

nick

SimonUK
05-18-2011, 20:55
Was looking at the exhaust smoke in the first video after you pulled out of the workshop. It smokes then runs clean momentarily then smokes again. Clear indication of air getting drawn into the IP.

Are you using the Landy fuel filter, it may have too small a flow rate. If using the original rectangular filter that comes with the 6.2 there are several 'O' seals that can leak.

Is your lift pump 100%. They are readily available over here.

Is the lift pipe in the tank ok. are your fuel lines in good condition. I'm guessing you go off the tarmac now and again so crushed, kinked or split fuel lines are a possibility.

i'm guessing once you eliminate the air getting in your injector problem may well disappear.