PDA

View Full Version : Will Suburban headlights fit my 1993 K3500

JetBoater
03-17-2011, 09:03
My plastic 1993 headlights are getting pretty yellow and etched from time.

Can anyone advise if aftermarket suburban headlights will fit my truck?
Mike

JetBoater
03-17-2011, 09:05
Here is a picture of the lights I found locally.
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/uploads/26482/3kc3m13oa5Z55W65U3b2l9b39d65585a813d5.jpg

DennisG01
03-17-2011, 16:14
Mine were very yellow with lots of crazing/swirls marks/whatever you want to call them. I used the 3M Headlight Restoration kit and they, honestly, came out looking like new. I was very impressed with what an hour of my time produced. My wife even made the comment that there was more light output. I followed it up with 303 protectant (and will continue to do so) to hopefully keep them looking that way. I think I paid about $15 for the kit on Amazon.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Featured_Products/Headlight/

JetBoater
03-18-2011, 06:31
my friend mentioned using the same kit. I had no idea the product worked.

I have an opportunity to get the new aftermarket headlights at a great price, so was hoping they would fit.... it would be a gamble buying them without knowing.

More Power
03-18-2011, 10:12
I've used aftermarket headlight assemblies before - on our first 6.5 Project truck. They look great and worked fine, with the exception that one would fog internally after driving in the rain. The quality of materials isn't quite as good as OEM stuff, but being half the price can help... These came from Taiwan or some such. If given the choice today, I'd be tempted to use OEM.

Jim

JetBoater
03-18-2011, 11:37
The 3M product video shows an impressive result... for $15 you can't loose!

Thanks for the replies! ;)

DaveBr
03-21-2011, 11:31
I saw an episode of "TRUCKS" and they used toothpaste with amazing results. Guess it makes a great buffing compound.

JetBoater
03-21-2011, 11:35
I thought I might try to do something like hand pumice cleaner myself... Toothpaste might be less harsh.

It doesn't hurt to give it a try, I did already take a very fine scratch pad used for sanding copper, and all the coarse bumps/scratches and yellow are gone.

It is fogged pretty good still, and will do a before and after from this point on.

Thanks for the suggestion.

twaddle
03-21-2011, 13:31
I got my new lights for my 96 Suburban from Napa in Stoney Plain here in Alberta. I didn't think they were that expensive at the time.

Never had any trouble with them. I may still have the old lights sitting in the boxes from Napa. Do you want me to see if I can get part numbers off the boxes?

Jim

JetBoater
03-21-2011, 13:34
Hi Jim, sure..please send me the part numbers.

I have the NAPA warehouse a block away from me... I can always call to see what they are worth, if the toothpaste doesn't work out!
Cheers,
Mike

DaveBr
03-22-2011, 18:58
You may be able to find that episode of trucks on their web site. I don't know if they archieve or not. I believe they used the toothpaste on a 90* air die grinder with a buffing pad.

JetBoater
03-26-2011, 10:01
Here is a pic of what the headlight looked like after a super fine sanding:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/jetboater/Trucks/DSC01599.jpg

Here is 2 minutes of buffing with a blob of Crest Toothpaste:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/jetboater/Trucks/DSC01606.jpg

Way better! When I have more time, the lights should be as good as new!
Good stuff!

chevytuff
03-26-2011, 10:28
Aluminum wheel polish also works wonders, Cream type usually 4 or 5 dollars for a tube. A little elbow grease and they should look like new.

DaveBr
03-26-2011, 10:50
Good old crest! Prevents cavities and polishes headlights... who'd of thought? Did you use the whitening toothpaste or the regular?

On a more serious side, how did you apply it? I need to do this to my rig.

JetBoater
03-26-2011, 11:06
It's simple, just smear a half inch of toothpaste on a buffing wheel, and rev it up and ensure you cover all areas of the plastic lamp.

I could have spent more time, but the lens cleared up so fast... I thought I'd save the effort for next time.

This was so effortless, I'll be doing it annually, before winter, when the days light is shorter and you find yourself using your headlights more.

This is one of those inexpensive fixes that surprised me. I planned on buying new headlights because mine were so weathered....how often can you salvage something so cheaply!

Cheers! ;)