PDA

View Full Version : Refilling Coolant After water pump replacement

Jakemax04
03-19-2011, 00:51
I am replacing the water pump on my lly duramax, which btw is a kind of a pain, but my question is how do i refill coolant if i drained the radiator. my water pump started leaking on my way to Oklahoma, i made it back home to Texas by adding just water so i went ahead and drained the radiator completely. i realize there is still some in the block but i think it will be alright. from what i have researched i loosen the bleeder screw on the T-stat housing then fill the reservoir till coolant comes out of bleeder. i just have a hard time seeing how filling from reservoir will completely fill radiator. If anyone has knowledge of this it would be much appreciated.

jbplock
03-19-2011, 05:27
Jake,

The radiator will fill up when adding coolant to the expansion tank .. See the following thread for more info ..

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=18765

Per the factory service (Helms) manual, air is purged by cycling the engine to 3000 RPMs several times with the cap off and thermostats open (engine hot). At this point I close the cap and take a ride around the block, then top off one more time if needed. Each time the engine is cycled to 3000 RPMs, the coolant level in the expansion tank drops, then rises as the RPM's fall. When all the air is purged the coolant level in the tank doesn't drop as the RPMs are cycled. You also need to have the transmission in neutral with the parking brake set (the engine won't rev to 3000 rpms in park)

:)

More Power
03-29-2011, 09:05
I use an incline here at home that I use to help eliminate any air in the cooling system. I position the truck so that the right front corner of the truck is the highest. This helps any air in the radiator to move into the coolant surge tank. Doesn't take much of an incline.

Otherwise, just check the coolant level in the surge tank over the next few days following a refill. Bring it back to the cold fill line when cold if necessary.

Jim