PDA

View Full Version : Manual glow plugs toggle & fuse size

raunch
03-23-2011, 13:08
I've searched up and down and found one indication of what size switch is needed and what size in-line fuse. 30A for the switch and 10A for the fuse. Can anyone confirm this? There is a whole range of toggle switch sizes and would like to get it right the first time. The 50A amp toggles all come with a long handle, and I have not yet a found a guard to fit over it. If I can buy a smaller amp toggle, then I can use the guard. The guard is required, with kids in the truck and knees to bump switches.

Also, instead of getting a Ford starter solenoid, can't I just use the existing solenoid and bypass my controller?

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
03-23-2011, 13:42
You can use the existing relay. If it works, there's no reason to replace it with the [same] thing. The switch only needs to supply power to the coil of the relay, so 10A+ will be fine. As well as a toggle switch, you can use a small horn button, or a push-button starter switch. The push-button switches will usually last longer, and don't stick out enough to snag on things, like a toggle.

raunch
03-23-2011, 14:58
Thanks for the info.

JohnC
03-23-2011, 17:28
The 8 glow plugs together will draw 80 - 100 amps. They are already equipped with a fusible link for each bank. Stick with the original relay and you'll avoid dealing with all that.