PDA

View Full Version : 2001 -2500HD rearend Need help (Duramax)

waltersnubians
03-26-2011, 03:12
I have a 14 bolt 10.5 in. 30 spline rearend in my 2001 - 2500HD with a duramax. The problem is the spider gears are bad and am looking for a replacement carrier that is reasonable in price . It is a factory limited slip now and i would not mind puting a open differental in it. I believe a 1988 to present will fit. Do you have any suggestions on which way will be the best . And possible the web site where to get one

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2011, 09:03
You don't have a 10.5" 14 bolt, or limited slip. The Duramax (and 8.1L gasser) HD/3500 trucks are ONLY available with the AAM 11.5" axle, and if it is a locker (G80 RPO), it's an Eaton Gov-Loc. The HD's with the 6.0L gas engine (and 2500/3500 prior to 2001) had the 10.5" 14 bolt GM Corporate axle.

Aftermarket parts are limited, but you should have no problem getting OEM parts through many suppliers. Aftermarket parts are limited because they don't offer an advantage over OEM (with the exception of gear ratio changes not available OEM), and in many cases, the OEM's are less expensive. Upgrades, such as air/electric lockers are available from aftermarket suppliers.

The axle is normally "open", but has locking capability with the Gov-Loc. You can replace the Gov-Loc with an OEM open carrier, or mechanically disable the locking feature. The counterweights (the engagement function parts) can be modified or pinned stationary to prevent a lock.

It's interesting you have a side gear failure. They are usually a symptom of a greater problem, and not a cause. I've seen a couple premature axle failures, but these were all due to servicing with the wrong lube. Not to say they couldn't fail, but it is very rare, even under extreme abuse. The same applies to the Gov-Loc, failure is rare, but does happen.

waltersnubians
03-26-2011, 09:32
it has a 14 bolt rearend in it and it has a 10.5 ring gear if i measured it correctly.(where the ring gear bolts to the carrier not to the out side of the gear which measures 11 in.) it does have the spinning counter weights in it. The spider gears are very loose due to i put a new tire on it due to a blow out and i was not going to drive it til the new tires came in, aprox 2 weeks. My wife had been driving it to town and i did not know this til to late. the new tire was 2 inches shorter than the old ones. If i am doin the measuring wrong i apologise. let me know the correct way to figure out what it is and am wanting to put in a open non limited slip if it is possible. it is a 2500HD 4x4 quad cab with a duramax i was told it is a standard rearend from GM with the 3:73 ratio.

JohnC
03-26-2011, 10:45
What exactly is wrong? Can you post a picture?

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2011, 10:48
Unless the axle has been replaced, or the truck was originally a 6.0L gasser, the axle is an AAM 11.5" with 3.73 gears. This was the ONLY option on your truck. Measurement of the ring gear is irrelevant.

Even with a 2" tire difference, It's hard to believe the side gears would give out in a couple weeks, even with moderate to heavy use. Not to say it couldn't happen, only that it shouldn't. I would suspect other causes to the problem long before a side gear failure. What were your original symptoms of a problem? Or did you suspect a problem because it was driven with off-size tires? Do you have the axle disassembled, or just have the cover off?

waltersnubians
03-26-2011, 12:43
I noticed a weird sound when shifting in reverse or foreward with your foot on the brake. Also has a vibration when up to 55 mph and so on.It did not have this before the tire was changed. I had my wife get in and run the foreward and reverse while i layed under it with the cover off and the left side sounded just like it had a split gear and the yolk would turn aprox 1/5 the the rotation before it would stop.i watched the ring gear turn like it is suppose to but has the weird crunching sound . I do have the center out of it and all the gears and clutches out of it. The ring and pinion are a grey color with no signe of wear at all. The spider gears and the axle gears are very shiny and the spiders have aprox 5 thousands wear on the pin. (a slight lip on the pin and the teeth are lijke a mirror with some wear). I can take pics and be happy to send them if needed. The only numbers i can find on the ring gear is 017 A 11 41
And i found these on the spool AAM 40002217
0010125c

I believe they are 0's

waltersnubians
03-27-2011, 17:19
Can i put in a 11.5 - 30 spline AAM open carrier in place of my old one? Here is the item i am looking at GM 11.5 AAM STANDARD OPEN LOADED CARRIER SPIDER GEARS - eBay (item 270649440430 end time Apr-12-11 065138 PDT) Or if you would let me know what year rearend or carrier will replace this one.

THEFERMANATOR
03-27-2011, 18:37
Does it have 2 or 3 pinion bearings? Th 10.5" uses a rear pinion bearing to support the pinion inside of teh differential housing and a removeable pinion support assembly. The 11.5" 14 bolt only uses 2 pinion bearings and no removeable pinion support. If your diff has failed you can also go to an 11.5" differential from a DODGE and have a TORSEN style Vs the G80 locking style. The TORSEN style is a bit more reliable and doesn't have the failure prone counterweight system in it. And ONLY the 2500HD 6.0L gasser uses the 10.5", ALL of the other HD's use the 11.5". The 2500 LD used a 9.5" semi floater in it, and the 2500 BURB/AVA use the 10.5" with a 8.1L(not sure if the 6.0L uses a 9.5" or 10.5").

waltersnubians
03-28-2011, 04:12
it has just the two bearings on the pinion. My 93 - 6.5 has the three i did look at it to see if it would interchange but it is a bit small.