PDA

View Full Version : New Adventures in Mechanicsville!

forbey
04-02-2011, 18:51
Man, started late, 10 am, couldn't seem to get started with the temps in the 30s.

Began on the passenger side taking apart the front wheel assembly. Never did it before and it scares the heck out of me.

Purchased a can of Blaster and a couple tools along the way.

Finished getting the knuckle off at 8:30 pm. Hands are sore, learned a bunch, figured out a few short cuts. I can account for 3 to 4 hours wasted running to the auto parts store, waiting for a delivery and returning to the computer to check the next steps.

Hope to cut the driver's side down under 4 hours. We'll see.

With any luck, I'll swap out the ball joints and get started reassembling tomorrow.

Monday is supposed to rain!

Tired, hungry and feeling good about the day's efforts!

forbey

Robyn
04-02-2011, 19:31
Glad it was a productive day.

All the sore, hurting, bleeding and other stuff really sort of goes away when things are productive.

An old friend used to tell me, "Missy, its gonna work fine, Cause you bled all over it"

If you baptized it with blood, then all will be well. :)

Missy

forbey
04-03-2011, 05:32
I always figured if it came apart easy it would be the going back together that was going to be difficult.

Add to the fact that I had to do it outside and the forecast has changed to 30% chance of thunderstorms.

Might get wet.

forbey

forbey
04-03-2011, 08:55
Second side down to knuckle in under 2 hours!

Hope this doesn't mean bad things for the back side.

Off to sons house for birthday party, then to O'Reiley's to change out the ball joints.

forbey

forbey
04-03-2011, 18:58
Everyone, repeat after me... forbey's a moron, forbey's a moron, forbey's a moron!

Spent 2 hour trying to figure out why I couldn't bust loose the ball joints. Finally figured out I was pushing them the wrong way. :confused: Boy, them puppies come out quick when you head em in the right direction! :o

Got all for ball joints in with grease zirts, and the knuckles mounted and tie rods reconnected. Decided I need new axle gaskets, have to pick them up tomorrow.

Brakes still look good,

Hopefully, all will be up and running tomorrow.

Dog tired, heading for the shower and bed.

Nite all!

forbey (tired, feeling good about the learning curve, even though I run into the guard rail every now and then)

forbey
04-03-2011, 19:22
ROBYN... It's all your fault!

Just had to start talking about BLEEDING on your work! (Well I didn't bleed on my work, but I did nail myself in the forehead with a prybar, bled a little, left a nice claw divot and lump about 2 inches above my right eye. My wife sitting there watching the whole thing! How embarrassing :o!

Too funny!

forbey
04-05-2011, 05:58
Hole in head still hurts! :(

Ran out of money until Thursday, still ned gaskets for both axles. Everything to that point are in and appear functional.

Still a happy camper as far as my novice introduction to hub assemblies, ball joints and axles.

Had to ask a friend for advice on Sunday. He is into demolition derbies and is always working on something. He was impressed that I had dug that deep into my front end and said he had never ventured that far into anything of his.

Have to make sure it doesn't go to my head... I still have to get it under the truck to finish up this job.

Have a great day,

forbey