PDA

View Full Version : No start 6.2

Kcustom73
04-03-2011, 13:11
So my 6.2 class c motorhome hasn't started since late November and does not want to start. First thing i checked where the batteries. Found out one was bad :( (shouldn't of been lazy last fall and pull the batteries out and put them in the garage). So got a new one and now I have 2 new batteries (identical batteries, one was bought last year and one bought this weekend). I put both on the charger and got them to a full charge before I tried starting it again. Cranks well but no start.

The 6.2 started and ran fine (no smoke or weird noise) last fall before I shut it down for the season. I checked all the wires to make no little critters had gotten to them and things look good. Glow plugs are new from last year 60G's and the temperature was 10C (50F).

I'm thinking the first thing I should do is replace the fuel filter, but would any of you have any other suggestion on where to start?

Robyn
04-08-2011, 12:16
What has likely happened is that the fuel slowly drained back from the IP to the tank, leaving an air pocket at the IP.

Replace the fuel filter and get air free fuel to the IP.

If this engine has a mechanical lift pump, unhook the power wire (large Red/Pink) from the IP before your crank the engine.

Get the fresh air free fuel to the IP, then go for a startup.

This sort of drainback does happen over time.

Good luck

Missy

Kcustom73
04-09-2011, 14:00
Thanks Missy.

That's sort of what I was thinking also. The thing has been sitting for 4 months and sort of was wondering if the drain back was a possibility with the 6.2. I've got a spare filter sitting in the garage, so tomorrow I'll change it out and prime the filter. Then put the batteries back on the charger a bit just to make sure everything is nice and strong to start the engine up.

At least this won't happen with my DD 6.2 Land Cruiser once it is built.