PDA

View Full Version : New Starter...WOW !!!

arknsparc
04-04-2011, 06:32
just a word to the hardcore owners like me out there... i have owned my 6.5 for over ten years, and with over 220000 miles on her i've been a little concerned about her ability to start this winter even with her plugged in overnite. i live in upstate NY right on the Canadian border... anyways she finally didn't start one morning last week. after some checkin out i put in a brand new starter and wow!!! what a difference it made. same batteries, incredible starting rpms... its like i put the high torque back under the hood. when i think of all the wear and tear on the batteries and engine in general, dragging her over with that old starter i cringe. one of those things you just don't realize until its too late... that's why i posted this, i didn't know a starter could deteriorate in performance like that.

Robyn
04-04-2011, 06:52
Welcome to TDP
Lots of good folks here that can help out with these beasts.

Yup, been there done that.

It creeps up slowly over a long time in many cases until one day Phhhhht it just quits.

Glad you got it all fixed :)

Missy

captaincrunch
01-31-2013, 15:39
This may have just happened to me????

Drove it several places today and it started fine. Next to the last place I did notice there was a slight delay from the time I turned the key to "start" and the time the starter actually spun. But, it cranked right up.

The last place (obviously) I turned the key and . . . nothing. No click, nothing. Batteries test good, can't get to the starter connections to test them (It's in an business office parking lot)

Is there a way to bypass the transmission lock-out switch?

Looks like I'll be dropping the starter tomorrow . . . .

JohnC
02-01-2013, 09:48
Check the contacts in the ignition switch first!

captaincrunch
02-02-2013, 06:23
Continued here:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=41682