PDA

View Full Version : '06 LBZ fuel gauge always reads "E"

GVWR
04-04-2011, 18:54
My '06 GMC fuel gauge recently quick working. One fill up it took 30 minutes or so for the needle to creep up to full and then the next fill up, nothing. A half dozen fill ups later and it's still on "E".
Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks.

Mark Rinker
04-11-2011, 06:47
Quit driving around so much? ;)

Certainly sounds like your sender is sticking to me. Not a commonly reported problem. Its either the sender or a faulty gauge, right?

Q: Do you have a 'miles remaining' readout on your DIC?

JohnC
04-11-2011, 09:39
I think the miles remaining readout relies in part on the fuel gauge.

DmaxMaverick
04-11-2011, 10:19
It's simple to diagnose, at least to offer a starting point. You'll need to plug in a scanner capable of reading PCM monitored fuel level. A Tech II (or equivalent) can also read the BCM, which will show actual fuel tracking values (the data the DIC uses), and can help isolate the point of failure. If the gage matches the fuel level value, it's the sender or signal (wire, connector) between the sender and PCM. If they don't match, it's the gage (or IPC), BCM, or signal between the PCM and gage. If your DIC fuel tracking feature is working, it is not the sender. The DIC won't reset remaining miles unless the sender is working (It won't know when you added fuel).

The gage is a "dumb" device, and only displays the current value sent via the IPC data.

carco
05-07-2011, 18:21
Replaced several sending units for GM, Toyota, Chy, Ford, for dead/glitchy senders.