PDA

View Full Version : 95 3500 6.5 major power loss

faughtj
09-06-2004, 17:02
I have a 95 Chev 3500 with the 6.5TD & 4-sp auto.. it's a 4x4 chassis cab w/ an 8' dump bed, 106K miles. Anways, it has been running *extremely* rough lately. Even unloaded, it has a hard time doing 55-60 on a flat hwy (used to go 70+ with ease). When this problem started, it developed a low, resonating vibration or hum at idle that would resonate through the entire cab. Although, it sounds like it originates from the passenger side. The engine is noisier when running, and also is running hotter (~210). Driving home today, it seemed like it was not going to make it home.. Also, I seem to hear a "sputtering" sound coming from the passenger side too, when I accelerate from a stop; this was esp. noticeable on Saturday when I had a load of topsoil in the back and the truck was really working.

I'm hoping this is something I could tackle myself.. if not at least I would have a reasonable idea when I take it in to be repaired. Thanks in advance - Jason

gmctd
09-06-2004, 17:52
Check the turbo bearings for excessive play - could explain the 'hum'.

The soot trap could be plugged - the oxidizing converter.

Either or both can contribute to no power complaints.

Use the 'search' function above for more info.

tom.mcinerney
09-07-2004, 17:02
Low power - 1.)fuel restricted[pumps/filter/lines tank]

2.)airflow restricted[no turbo boost/clogged intake/clogged exhaust]

3.) mechanical probs: compression test

4.) PCM/FSD/sensor malfunction(s)

Noise psgr side (CDR; Turbo; air filt; Ex downpipe; Vacuum pump)

65turboman
09-08-2004, 11:51
Be sure to check the crankshaft pulley. The rubber in the center tends to crack apart or separate from the metal framing of the pulley. When mine went out it caused an odd drone from the engine. Just something to check.