PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 LTD engine replacement... Help?

#1HawkeyeFan
04-05-2011, 18:32
New to the forum... Please excuse my newbie manner...

I have seached for past threads that deal with engine replacement but nothing was returned.

I am about to buy a replacement engine for my truck. I'm sure the headgasket has blown and with 220,000 miles on the engine, I do not want to do the head work and 10 miles to 20k miles from that have the bottom end fall out of the oil pan.

Needless to say I have been doing alot of research into this and have found a place on the internet that sells drop-in replacement AM General 6500 engines and would like to know if anyone has ever heard good or bad about ID'L Diesel at 65engines.com?

rustyk
04-05-2011, 20:19
Never dealt with them. I'm very satisfied with the 6.5LTD I got from Peninsular Diesel.

JohnC
04-06-2011, 09:27
Start here... (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31036)

#1HawkeyeFan
04-06-2011, 11:26
Beside Kennedy Diesel and Peninsular as a source for the 6500 optomizer engine, is there anyone that can recommend a source?

I am trying to avoid companies marketing the AM General 6500 Optomizer but using the Chineese 6500s knock-off engines.

Anyone heard of any of the following?
ID'L Diesel or US Engine Production Inc, Ronkonkoma, NY; 65engines.com?
S & J Engine Inc., Spokane, WA; www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com?
GM Diesel Engines, No specific location but the East Coast,
gm-diesel-engines.com?
U.S. Engines Inc., Kent, Washington; usengine.us?
Bostic Motors Inc., Bostic, NC; 6-5liter.com?

Please help or suggest any source that isn't listed that is known to provide the "Real McCoy" AM General 6500 engine.

I

6.5 Detroit Diesel
04-06-2011, 12:28
did you not read the replies to your original thread? starting new threads covering the same topic isn't going to help you get the answers faster, it will just make you annoying to people trying to help.

Kennedy and Penisular are both reccomended on here because they are reputable sources for 6.5 parts

#1HawkeyeFan
04-06-2011, 13:18
Sorry, I meant to reply to the original post... I'm not new to computers but am new to forums and this kind of communication... The one reply to the the original post was about Peninsular and I contacted them as the web site didn't have any real information... I was aware of Kennedy but that's way out of my price range... But it looks as though that's the issue if you don't pay the price you can end up with the knock-offs from China. I did go through the thread suggested by JohnC... Did the guy with the cracked block ever get any results or was he just out of luck because of the 1 year warranty?

HH
04-06-2011, 16:30
My Peninsular engine has almost 100k on it now. I would check them out.

rustyk
04-06-2011, 17:34
I should have mentioned that mine has 60K miles, pushing a 16,000 lb. motorhome.

DmaxMaverick
04-06-2011, 21:43
Beside Kennedy Diesel and Peninsular as a source for the 6500 optomizer engine, is there anyone that can recommend a source?

I am trying to avoid companies marketing the AM General 6500 Optomizer but using the Chineese 6500s knock-off engines.

Anyone heard of any of the following?
ID'L Diesel or US Engine Production Inc, Ronkonkoma, NY; 65engines.com?
S & J Engine Inc., Spokane, WA; www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com?
GM Diesel Engines, No specific location but the East Coast,
gm-diesel-engines.com?
U.S. Engines Inc., Kent, Washington; usengine.us?
Bostic Motors Inc., Bostic, NC; 6-5liter.com?

Please help or suggest any source that isn't listed that is known to provide the "Real McCoy" AM General 6500 engine.

I

We don't just allow anyone to advertise here. If a retailer can't provide what they advertise, they don't do it here. Period. It's a tough market, and we lose a lot of revenue doing it this way, but that's what we are. Take that for what it is.

Kennedy and Peninsular are more expensive. The others are less expensive. There's a reason for this. Quality, be it customer service or parts, comes at a price. If you want to save some money and accept questionable service and/or products, by all means, shop elsewhere. If you do, please report back your results. We won't hold it against you. You have my personal guarantee on that. We owe no loyalty to anyone who hasn't absolutely earned it.

rameye
04-07-2011, 04:26
W W Williams... the only authorized re-seller for complete engines from GEP/AM General (according to AM General).

Just installed one last year....no issues...easy to deal with.

Stay away from Ebay engine sellers!!!!!!!!.....

I actually talked to GEP they told me who is real and who the imposters are.

Peninsular buys components from GEP and builds a fine product.

Kennedy for sure will not sell you a piece of crap.

WW Williams sells the complete engine also from the factory in Ohio.

Stay away from all others.

My .02

chestatee
04-07-2011, 14:40
We don't just allow anyone to advertise here. If a retailer can't provide what they advertise, they don't do it here. Period. It's a tough market, and we lose a lot of revenue doing it this way, but that's what we are. Take that for what it is.

Kennedy and Peninsular are more expensive. The others are less expensive. There's a reason for this. Quality, be it customer service or parts, comes at a price. If you want to save some money and accept questionable service and/or products, by all means, shop elsewhere. If you do, please report back your results. We won't hold it against you. You have my personal guarantee on that. We owe no loyalty to anyone who hasn't absolutely earned it.

Beware!!
They using the new block (they say anyway?) but when confront @ the other re designed components crank, cam etc, they said it woud be am infringement on AM design patten.:eek: Say what! Either Peninsula or Williams (Williams is higher because they don't require a core return) Also SSDiesel is selling the P-400 which is what have plans for.

MDS

chestatee
04-07-2011, 14:42
did you not read the replies to your original thread? starting new threads covering the same topic isn't going to help you get the answers faster, it will just make you annoying to people trying to help.

Kennedy and Penisular are both reccomended on here because they are reputable sources for 6.5 parts
That is a fact

rameye
04-07-2011, 16:19
6.5 engines.com ...they get very shifty when hard pressed!

I got my motor for less from Williams...why no core??? new engine! not rebuilders

Peninsular was going to waive the core charge also...

#1HawkeyeFan
04-07-2011, 16:37
Thanks for the information... I have contacted both W.W. Williams and Peninsular...

Someone was kind enough to provide a ilnk to a thread from awhile ago... Someone had bought a "6500" from 65-engines.com and two years into it he had a cracked block... I can't seem to find out if he ever got any satisfaction from them but probably not as the warraty was only 1 year... Does anyone happen to know?

#1HawkeyeFan
04-07-2011, 16:42
Just went back to it... JohnC provided the link, it was MorePower that had the cracked block... Just wondering how that all turned out for him?

rustyk
04-07-2011, 16:49
Peninsular was going to waive the core charge also...

Mine was brand new from Peninsular, no core charge (I still have the old engine). They built it to spec, including the Phazer gear drive.

TAG
04-08-2011, 17:15
My engine was also brand new from penninsular. My shop is pretty close to penns, & Ive gotten to know Matt pretty well. He is selling the real deal from GEP, brand new ( I saw them sitting in the shipping racks from gep in his shop ). It seems he deals with 18:1 engines the most because his first line of business is marine. Mine is approaching 100,000 miles & 5 years, no problems yet but i do have an oil leak on both valve covers that needs to be adressed. A little pricey but well worth it in my book.