PDA

View Full Version : electrical probelm

ChevyMan19036
04-07-2011, 22:00
I am having a problem with my truck reving up. I tried replaceing the pedal positioning senor, the wire that goes from the ignition to the pcm and pcm. However it appears to be an electrical problem. My brother-in-law messed with the wires under my dash and that seemed to make the problem happen and also correct it when he was moving them around. The motor revs up on its own while i am driving or in park. Has anyone had a problem like this and know what caused it? I hate to tare the truck apart to trace everthing if it is an easy fix that someone has done before.

matt
95 chevy k2500 6.5 td

Yukon6.2
04-08-2011, 07:48
Hi
Do you have a remote mounted FSD?
Uncontroled reving is a sign of FSD/PMD going bad.
If your's is remote monted it's easy to rule it out,just swap it for a known good one.
Thomas

racer55
04-08-2011, 20:26
flight systems PMD"s have been known to cause this problem.
Dipaco,Dtech,Dorman or GM replacement are all the same PMD from Flight Systems and they are aware of a bad batch in circulation.

I bad IP can cause similar problems.

As for the wires under the dash being disturbed causing it,sure it's possible but it is a tough problem to solve since there is not a good place to start.

DmaxMaverick
04-08-2011, 21:28
flight systems PMD"s have been known to cause this problem.
Dipaco,Dtech,Dorman or GM replacement are all the same PMD from Flight Systems and they are aware of a bad batch in circulation.

I bad IP can cause similar problems.

As for the wires under the dash being disturbed causing it,sure it's possible but it is a tough problem to solve since there is not a good place to start.

Add Sol-D to the list and you'll have all the providers. They are NOT the same. The GM replacement should be the latest Stanadyne solution (gray PMD), which also requires harness adaptation. If you get a black one from GM, they are purging old stock, which is the same old thing.

I have no idea what Dorman is selling, nor am I interested in finding out. If it's any similarity to their other recent products, don't waste your money on them.

racer55
04-08-2011, 21:34
When did GM switch back to stanadyne PMD's?

They were exclusively using FS for replacement since they came out.

Never heard of sol-d but I'll take your word for it,thanx for adding to the list.

DmaxMaverick
04-08-2011, 22:03
GM has always been Stanadyne. Some parts counters may have stocked others, but GM has always been Stanadyne. Most dealers, in accordance with contract agreements, never distinguished a separation of the PMD and injection pump. If one or the other failed, they were both replaced as a unit. This was mostly with warranty claims (which are all but gone, now), but the policy bled into out of warranty repairs. A little over a year ago, Stanadyne introduce an "improved" PMD. It's gray in color, and requires a harness adapter, or modification to your existing harness connector (Kennedy has it posted at his site).

At this time, D-Tech seems to be the better of the bunch (however slight). The jury is still out on the Stanadyne "gray", but it may be promising.

Sol-D was an earlier aftermarket solution, but was not without its issues. Robyn has used them, and can detail it more if necessary.