PDA

View Full Version : 82-83 6.2 should start in well under 3 seconds

4boltmainiac
04-10-2011, 00:54
"Working safely with proper tools with unbending standards to achieve Quality and Safety is more than a job it is an American Way Of Life"

Bought my truck not running (heard it run before now it had a tranny issue). Thunk maybe a problem in the starter so I bought a "lifetime warranty" starter from kragen for 159$ and I noticed the case was smaller in diameter than the factory one I pulled out. This was when I was very green with my 6.2 and it did make it easier to install plus there were many issues to deal with takling this truck and get her up and running. Got her put back together and running finally and my startup was strong enough I thought so I settled and drove around awhile. Had a few more issues and noticed it was takin one or two more cranks to make heat but she chucked on down the road...An error when I went to get a new alternator caused my dual batteries to drain low I thought so I got the corrrect Alternator along with a Set of Napa 84 month 1000 CA 850 CCA batteries.
Installed these and she still would baely start. Went through all my cables, removed small case starter cleaned it up checked connections put it back in with same result. Truck would start when I bumped clutch MOST the time so I was a little baffled...
Books say then your rings might be shot so I was starting to think the worst...
I then dropped small case starter out again and got another on warranty and noticed the new starter had the fatter case. I installed this unit hooked up the electrical on the right of soloinoid (hooked to left side first duh!) and fired her up..
The difference was incredible! My truck starts in less than 1 second it seeems.. I mean right now with power! Challenge your warranty starter and you parts pro. With all systems working sweet and the big case starter your 82-83 6.2 should start better than any scummins or powder smoke that is brand stinkin new! Mine sure does and I will never settle for more than a 3 second start. Done in my driveway in about 10hrs counting batteries cables R&R twice of the starter and so worth it to start hard and fast with power on my oldskool K10